Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brown and black boots

Muerrisch

My query under 'Sweet pea mixture' was blanked. Let's try again.

Is there truth in the tale that, pre-1914, boots were issued one pair black, one brown, and that all converged on black when brown polish was unobtainable?

Also that, on active service, boots were to be dubbinned rather than polished, and then miraculously bulled if a parade was laid on?

After the adoption of Service Dress in AO 10 of 1902 all ankle boots were to be brown.

Once old stocks of blacked boots were used up the manufactured color of the boot was intended to be primarily brown, i.e. unblackened and well dubbed. Units were known to have perminently, or attempted perminent, applied black dye pre-war even for other than full dress occasions. I say attempted because trying to dye Chrome tanned leather (which was coming into Boot manufacture) is difficult and against regulation.

Per the clothing regulations ankle boots were to be only blackened (using shoe polish which is very imperminent) for full dress parades and for walking out. At all other times they were to be well greased and left in a natural state. This is an interesting dilemma as Full Dress required blacked ankle boots and Service Dress required brown by regulation. Both pairs of issue boots would be brown. It would not surprise me if you found evidence that one pair was left black (done so by the soldier) and the other worn for Service Dress as a matter of unit or individual practice.

However, black ones are encountered that are either dyed black post manufacture or could have been produced in black leather. I have 5 pairs of wartime type ankle boots dated 1915 to 1919. Two are dyed black post manufacture (Dated 1916 and 1917) all others are left natural.

Joe Sweeney

Joe,

Is there any indication of the manufacturer of any of your WW1 boots?

Kate,

None are marked by a specific manufacturer. Only marks are the government manufacturing codes/date, RACD acceptance stamps, and size information. The manufacturing codes may represent the manufacturer, but none indicate a specific name.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks Joe,

I think this subject would make an interesting local research project. Not one that I wish to do, though. obviously I do unearth various items relating to footwear in the course of local researches. The range of items produced was much greater than most people would think.

• 3 months later...

you could be field punished for polishing your boots or looseing a stud.damageing kings property.

some boot have a makers mark as i have a pair at home. I think it was because so many boots were needed private companys to make them because of the demand.

Trench,

Could you post a photo of your bootmaker's mark, or describe it, please?

I was just wondering if I could identify the company that made them.

a word of warning about sutlers.

WARNING -there is that word lol

sutlers is good but only certain items there greatcoats are good .

sadly there boots aint so if you want boots try a bloke called david ross.