Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gnr Stanley C Rolling

tombowcock

Hi Everyone,

Not quite sure under which topic to place this query so if I selected incorrectly please accept my apologies.

My wifes Grandfather served with the Royal Garrison Artillery. His MIC shows that he was a member of the Territorial Force (or I assume that is what the TF means on the MIC after the victory medal).

We know that he served in the Home fire Command in 1915 and was part of the defence of London and in the shooting down of Zepplin L15. As part of that action he was awarded the private medal The Wakefield Medal. At that time he was part of 2Co Cornwall RGA.

His MIC shows that he was in RGA 110B. Is that the battery ? If so is that Heavy or Siege and does anyone know the movements of that battery. We know that after the war he was involved with the CWGC and helped establish the cemeteries at Contay and Heilly, but my mother in law says that she was sure he did'nt fight on the Somme. Is that so ??

Grateful for any assistance once again

Thanks to you all

James

I think the "110b" might be just a Medal roll reference. Was it next to the VM & BWM entries, or in the unit section?

Since his number is likely to be a TF one, someone here will be able to identify it:

Medal card of Rolling, Stanley C

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Garrison Artillery 321804 Bombardier

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

Steve.

I think the "110b" might be just a Medal roll reference. Was it next to the VM & BWM entries, or in the unit section?

Thanks Steve

Here is the MIC

post-7689-1127241014.jpg

Yes, the 110B is a Reference to the Medal Rolls. One or two REAL experts might be able to tell from that but I think his number is a TF one. I know a few people here will be able to allocate that to a specific Brigade.

They saw me right for my TF RFA man. Sit tight!

Steve.