Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lochnagar crater

paullaw1155

Pals

Was the crater we know as Lochnagar formally German redoubt known as Schawben Hobe Redoubt, ?

Also we see images of the Tyneside Irish attacking Ovilliers,and Lochnagar was blown on the morning of July 1st. My next question is Did we manage to gain the area that was destroyed in the explosion and hold it, or was we repulsed. The book that I am currently reading leads me to think that we captured Ovilliers on July2nd. I presume that the crater was blown as a prelude to capturing Ovillers.

How far did the Tynside Irish have to march/walk across No mans Land?

Slightly confused, hope pals can help.

Again thanks in anticipation

Cheers

Paul

Further checks show that the area that was mined was a redobt known as Schawben Hohe. Lochnagar crater was the one blown to assist the attack.

Source Peter Harts book The Somme.

Thanks To all.

Paul

Edited by paullaw1155

Paul,

The Scwaben redoubt was near Thiepval, so not the same location as Lochnagar (unless the Schwaben Hobe redoubt is different?)

The Schwaben redoubt near Thiepval held out for a good while after 1st July, I think Lochnagar was certainly entered on the 1st, but I can't erecall off hand whether it was held that day or not.

Alan

The crater, designed to distrupt troops in the Schwaben Hohe redoubt, taken by 101 Bde who held the ground as well as GE trenches at Kaufman Graben, 100m to the north. The area ws only lightly manned during the rest of the day, 9th Cheshires moved into it overnight in preparation for overnight asslt on La Boisselle the next day.