Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Great War Airman dies

Guest Simon Bull

It goes to show that the reports that all of Germany's Great War veterans are dead may well not be accurate!

I'm pretty certain that those reports are innacurate! Many thousands of personal records were destroyed during WW2 and afterwards, especially those in the eastern states, so many veterans would have simply "disappeared" into obsurity if they survived through the even more horrendous war that was to follow.

I'd reckon (happily) that there're still a few German vets kicking about yet!

Dave.

Most interesting and unique is that he won the Eisernes Kreuz II and I class in WW I for Germany and a DFC for Britain in WW II !

Best from Johan

What a truely amazing story, I take my hat off to him!!

RIP Bert

Stephen

I'm slightly dubious about how he managed to bring down a Dornier 17 while flying a DC3! If he served in 32 sqdn and was a BofB pilot, it should be easy to trace him.

But allowed for some journalistic hype, I like to think the account of his life is in essence true.

Adrian

Now that is an interesting story ... can you imagine? How come we don't know more about him? Is it because, being Dutch, there isn't much of a market ... no Hollywood movie ...

There's a book there ... If he were to wear his uniform - and I am assuming that the Dutch have/had an airforce here ... how would he wear the decorations / ribbons. ....

Sorry, I've self edited the last bit into the bit-bucket - not germane and could be construed as current events

Guest Simon Bull
Now that is an interesting story ... can you imagine?  How come we don't know more about him? Is it because, being Dutch, there isn't much of a market ... no Hollywood movie ...

[/i]

Forgive my cynicism Andy, but if Hollywood made the movie he would have to be an American. [still narked by the Hollywood movie that made out that the {British}submarine which captured the Enigma machine was American]