Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some words of praise

John_Hartley

Pals

Good news doesnt sell newspapers, I'm told. But, over the last week, I've had some really good help from a couple of Museum over my on-going research into Stockport's fallen.

I'd rung the Borders Museum at Carlisle and asked if I could visit to do some war diary reading (Carlisle being easier and cheaper to get to than Kew). Of course, you can, they reply. So, off I schlep, up the M6 (stopping at Tebay Services for the best motorway breakfast you could want). The diaries I wanted were all ready for me, desk space was cleared, a brew was offered and interest shown in my project. Then the staff offered to run the names of all my Borders through their database and, within 24 hours,I had an email back from them with some good extra information that I wouldnt have easily found (or bothered to search for).

Similarly, I've been in touch with the Kings Own Royal Lancasters @ Lancaster. There's loadsa KORL from Stockport, but, thanks to Forum Pal Northern Soul, I had quite a lot of "day they died" stuff from extracts from the Histories that Andy had sent me. Anyway , I still had quite a wodge to look-up. But the Museum curator offered to do the look-ups himself (saying it was a better use of both our time). And this morning, stacks of war diary photoccopies have arrived. And he's trawled their database for info on all my guys.

100%+ service from both Museums. I'm sure this isnt just our famous northern friendliness so, of you're researching, make friends withthe relevenet museums. I'm sure they are chuiffed that someone's showing an interest in their work.

John

Hi John, :)

Brilliant stuff, it gladens the heart !!

It just goes to show what great work they are doing.

Cheers

Tim.

I have had exactly the same from Black Watch, Royal Scots and Argyle Museums. The people in these Museums couldn't be more helpful and deserve our support.

Aye

Malcolm

The Dorset Military Museum at Dorchester provided me with excellent background info, that I would not have found on my own, in avery friendly manner.

I have had similar responses over the years from Lt Col Charley,@ Armargh;RIF Museum,The RCT/RASC,Bovington RAC;RTR,The Royal Highland Fusiliers{RSF} ,Both prior to & after their disasterous fire; The Midddlesex Regiment Museum & from the two aforementioned; The Dorsetshire's & The Border's,both extremely helpful,It gladdens the heart & is a great source of encouragement when met with such a response & outweighs those that deliver the Curt "This Museum does not have the staff/time to carry out Research for private individuals" fortunately scarce response,

Yorkshire Regt museum at Richmond told me I was most welcome to go over and photocopy a war diary I was interested in, haven't been yet but hope to make it in the next week or two.

Bob.

The Duke of Wellington's Regimental Museum, and as importantly, the Regimental Archives.

I shall be passing all my research to them. i recommend that others undertaking their own research consider this also.

regards

doogal

John,

I have used the Border's Museum at Carlisle, the King's at Lancaster, Lancs Fus at Bury and the Duke's archives at Halifax and I can aonly support you in the magnificant help and response I have had from them.

Fred

Pals I can only endorse what you say. These are the museums that helped me during personal, project and thesis research, and they couldn't have been more helpful:-

the museums and archives of the Royal Scots, the King’s Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, the Northumberland Fusiliers, the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, the King’s Liverpool Regiment, the Prince of Wales’s Own West Yorkshire Regiment, the East Yorkshire Regiment, Princess of Wales’s Own Yorkshire Regiment, the Lancashire Fusiliers, the Cheshire Regiment, the East Lancashire Regiment, the Border Regiment, the Prince of Wales’s Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment), the Welsh Regiment, the Sherwood Foresters, the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, and the Durham Light Infantry.

The Wardrobe-Royal Glocestershire,Berkshire and Wiltshire (Salisbury) Museum, The Royal Dragoon Guards Museum, Gloucester Regimental Museum at Gloucester Docks and The Royal Warwickshire Museum.

I would give top marks to them all. They have all proved extremely helpful and remained patient and polite in the face of a never ending stream of questions from me.

Two in particular provided me with the "big break" I was looking for when I had reached a dead end, with my own efforts.

Stephen

I'd like to add my appreciation of Derek Marsh, archivist for the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars, (Yeomanry). He has given me a great deal of assistance in my researches into the career of my great uncle.

Also praise to the museum of the 18th Hussars.

Remember that these places are often charities and not an off shoot of the MOD so a donation will usually be well received!

Chris C

I too have found the Shropshire Regimental museum at Shrewsbury most helpful.

Let me say from afar ... I am awed ... but not merely in the British way of doing things ... but in these seemingly forgotten places people care about their subject and what they do ... I think that's the key here ... US, Britain, Down Under ... where-ever ... I think its a testament of some sort to people who care about their "job" and what that "job" means ... or maybe it's just museum folk ... I have seen a volunteer who has stood for hours and explained the same statue and flags to countless people dressed in T-shirts and flip-flops gently remind men that this, indeed, is a church ... and yes she can show them where Lee sat ....

Thanks for this string to warm one's heart this morning ...