Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th RSF Gallipoli

James Brown

Does anyone know when drafts would arrive for the 1/5th Royal Scots Fusiliers, at Gallipoli?

Knowing the casualties that were suffered by the whole of the 155th Brigade on the 12th of July, how soon would a reinforcement arrive from England/Britain? Would there have been drafts already on their way to the peninsula? Would the higher command have plans in place, knowing there would be a high casaulty list?

Thanks

James

Does anyone know when drafts would arrive for the 1/5th Royal Scots Fusiliers, at Gallipoli?

In "The 52nd Lowland Division" no mention is made of reinforcements until Sep (there must have been some small drafts before this surely? - the batt. war diary will be the only place to find out probably).

Page 145: "During September some drafts arrived, all small with one exception. On the 3rd the 7th RS recieved a draft of thirteen officers, and 440 other ranks, an accession of strength which made a distinct difference in the appearance of the whole 156th Brigade at that time. They, with a previous small draft of officers, included all the fit survivors of the Gretna disaster."

Stuart

Hence my reasoning with the forward planning thought. If September was the earliest that drafts arrived, that means the 2 Battalions were their for almost 4 months before being reinforced.

I have been on to Maj Shaw at the Royal Highland Fusilier museum Stuart, got to give him a call. If I can find time between my work tomorrow I hope to speak to him. He says he has no info up there but hopes he can point me towards some help. Will keep you posted.

James

James

Westlake's "British Regiments at Gallipoli" makes no mention of drafts. However, it gives the effective strength at the end of July, August & Sept as 498, 489 and 415. Suggest to me that there were no major drafts in this time - with just guys going sick and returning to duty. No further useful info.

John

Thanks John

I had a look in Ray Westlake's book and tried to scratch between the the lines but as you say to no avail. As Stuart says it must have been really evident when the 7th Royal Scots, who's men recovered from the Gretna disaster, arrived on the peninsula.

The search goes on!

James