Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

52nd (Lowland) Division

AthollHighlander

Can anyone advise what battalions served with the Division between Aug and Dec 1915 in Gallipoli ? I've looked at the History of the Division but I'm confused by the Brigades!! How do they fit in to the Divisional structure?

Thanks

Dear Highlander,

Attached the info I have.

Any correction or extra info by other members would be most welcome.

eric

Sorry cannot attach an excel sheet. Please send me your e-mail address by PM

In the excel sheet there is more info such as some of the co's (incomplete)

In the meantime already this. Please correct me (and let me know !!) if there are mistakes.

52nd (Lowland) Division

155th (South Scottish) Brigade

4th Bn / The Royal Scots Fusiliers

5th Bn / The Royal Scots Fusiliers

4th Bn / The King's Own Scottish Borderers

5th Bn / The King's Own Scottish Borderers

156th (Scottish Rifle) Brigade

7th Bn / Cameronians

8th Bn / Cameronians

4th Bn / The Royal Scots Regiment

7th Bn / The Royal Scots Regiment

157th (Highland Light Infantry) Brigade

5th Bn / The Highland Light Infantry

6th Bn / The Highland Light Infantry

7th Bn / The Highland Light Infantry

5th bn /The Argyll & Sutterland Highlanders

eric

I agree with Eric.

Just to add that the battalions were all Territorials and were all the First Line TF battalions.

e.g.

1/4th Bn / The Royal Scots Fusiliers

1/5th Bn / The Royal Scots Fusiliers

etc.

Steve.

You can look at the Divisional page here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/52div.htm

and eliminate those who joined / left outside the dates of April-December 1915.

The whole of the 52nd Division did go to Gallipoli.

Occasionally Divisions were sent to different places (e.g. 54th Division artillery went to France rather than Gallipoli), but generally they were not separated, except to move some battalions around on occasion.

Steve.

Hi Atholl

Agree with Eric and Steve.

I have a list of some of the Officers comanding the 155th Brigade, throughout the campaign, although not complete.

Commanding Officer of the 155th Brigade, when landing was Brigadier-General J. F. Erskine.

Lieutenant-Colonel J. B. Pollock-McCall took over command of the 155th Brigade in August. While Major John Russell took over command of the 1/5th Battalion RSF until killed in action on the 26th August.

Captain J. B. Cook then took command of the 1/5th RSF.

Lt-Col John Blair Cook. D.S.O. M.C. Was Killed in Action on the 24th November 1917. Husband of Grace E. Mitchell Cook, of 14,Ballantine Drive in Ayr. He was 36 years of age. Before the war he was English Master at Higher Grade School in Dalmellington, Ayrshire. He is buried in JERUSALEM WAR CEMETERY, Israel.

Apologies for hijacking the post here Atholl.

Eric, do you know if Lt/Col A. H. Leggat took command of the 1/5th RSF or was he attached from some other unit. If he did take command at some stage, was he a draft. And do you know when he took command. He is mentioned in the History of the RSF by John Buchan.

regards

James

Eric, do you know if Lt/Col A. H.  Leggat took command of the 1/5th RSF or was he attached from some other unit. If he did take command at some stage, was he a draft. And do you know when he took command. He is mentioned in the History of the RSF by John Buchan.

James,

My reading of the "The 52nd Lowland Division" history suggests that he was in command of the 1/5th RSF e.g., p.160, "on 30th October [1915] the 5th RSF, Lt.-Col. A.H. Leggett, DSO, pushed forward for a few yards a barricade in the trench H.11a, on cliffs of West Krithia Nullah, making it possible for British bombers to throw bombs over two of the bridge-traverses in G11.a by hand." No other high-ranking officer is mentioned with the 1/5th RSF at this stage in the book.

The book also states (p.255) that Lt.-Col. A.H. Leggett (with an 'e' all the way through the book), 5th RSF, took over command of of the 155th Bde., temporarily, on the 22nd April (1916).

He is mentioned several times previous to this entry and is always referred to as 5th RSF, with no mention of being attached from another battalion. He is mentioned well over 30 times in this book.

Stuart

keep hijacking ...

I'm gathering intelligence ...

eric

PS : No these CO's were not in my list so this is all new (useful) info to me

Thanks Stuart, Atholl, Eric and Steve

Trench G11a mentioned again. :ph34r:

James