Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

99 Squadron, RAF

Guest velleson

Here's another one for you, Gareth. This says "FE" but with no further identification. However the serial number is very clear.

Veronica

It's a lovely photograph of an FE 2b. D9098 was an FE 2b built under licence by Alex Stephen & Sons of Glasgow in batch D9081 to D9230, one of the last batches of FEs to be ordered.

I would say that D9098 is almost certainly a training machine in the UK as, by the time of your great uncle's training and service, the only FE 2bs still being used operationally on the Western Front were night bombers/intruders. The machine in the photograph doesn't have the markings and equipment you would expect to see on a late war night bomber, ie the white portions of the roundels darkened and installation of bomb racks and under-wing night landing flares.

If you're wondering, the piping sticking up at the rear of the observer's cockpit (the front one) is the mount for a rearwards-firing Lewis Gun. The observer had to stand up on his seat and, facing backwards, fire the weapon over the top wing! See below for a closer image of the mount.

Again, thank you for posting the photograph.

Gareth

post-45-1127341094.jpg

Veronica

I just had another look at your first photograph, the one of the RE 8 that looks like it tipped on its nose while landing. If you look at the upper starboard/right wingtip (the one that is poking up into the air) you can see that most of the roundel is missing - only the portion of the marking on the aileron is there. This strongly suggests that the machine had suffered wing damage in an earlier accident and had been repaired, but not fully repainted.

Gareth

Gareth

I'm sure you're right. If it was being used in training, would that have been normal?

The quality of these pictures never ceases to amaze me, particularly in view of their tiny original size. They were probably taken with a box Brownie camera like the one that the chap in the middle of the group photo is holding. The films were all really slow by today's standards, which means that the negatives are incredibly sharp provided the photographer could keep the camera steady. All I have really had to do with the aircraft pictures so far is to scan them at high resolution, and tidy up the edges. There are only a couple left which are this good, all the rest I may have to do more with in order to be able to see them, but I'll see what I can do to improve them without actually inventing anything.

In the meantime here's another one.

Cheers Veronica

post-8075-1127375487.jpg

Veronica

Ah! A thing of beauty is a joy forever, as they say. The aeroplane is Airco DH 6 A9693, built under licence by the Grahame-White Aviation Co Ltd at Hendon in batch A9563 to A9762.

The DH 6 was a purpose-designed trainer, meant to be easily repaired after mishaps. Hence the straight lines in the shape of the control surfaces and everything else. The upper and lower wings were interchangeable, and evidence of this can be seen in the photograph by the roundel on the lower wing closest to the camera. It was common for all wings of DH 6s to be marked with roundels as they would be swapped from aircraft to aircraft to repair training damage. The band around the fuselage is probably white-red-white, and may be a training unit marking. The '2' on the fin would be the aeroplane's individual number in the [probably] squadron; aircraft '6' is in the background.

After the RAF decided to standardise with the Avro 504 as its basic trainer, some DH 6s were used operationally on anti-submarine patrols around the UK.

Your photographs are really interesting and, as you say, the quality is remarkable, especially when we take into consideration the equipment used to take them.

Thanks again

Gareth

Hi Gareth

This one isn't a thing of beauty but I'm hoping you will be able to identify it for me. The original of this is really terrible, almost nothing at all, but by the wonders of graphics editing software one can now at least read the number. I wouldn't vouch for the authenticity of anything else though, I've had to pull the contrast about too much to make it visible at all. However I'm hoping that you will be able to see enough of it to tell me what it is.

Thanks Veronica

post-8075-1127513018.jpg

Veronica

D4974 is an RE 8 that had two lives. In its first (unknown) incarnation it must have been badly damaged. It was then rebuilt by No 3 (Western) Aircraft Repair Depot at Yate, and allocated a new serial number in the series D4961-D5000.

Like the other RE 8s in the photographs that you've been kind enough to show us, D4974 has the enlarged fin fitted to training machines in order to make them a bit more stable.

Gareth

Hi Gareth

Here's another photo. This one is labelled "Tadcaster Aerodrome" but I've never seen an aircraft like this one before so I'm hoping you can identify it. No number that I can make out unfortunately.

The original is only marginally less faded than the crashed RE8, so this is the best I think I can do with it.

Thanks, Veronica

post-8075-1127643561.jpg

Veronica

The aeroplane is a French-designed but, in this case, British-built, Maurice Farman MF.11 'Shorthorn' (to distinguish it from the earlier MF.7 'Longhorn' which had an elevator on a framework which protruded out in front of the nacelle). It was a common trainer used by the RFC, especially in the early years of the War - though it remained in use into early 1918. The type was used on active service as a reconnaissance/artillery spotter until replaced by the BE 2c in the autumn of 1915. About 850 Shorthorns were produced under licence in the UK. The letter 'A' appears to be faintly visible in the white portion of the rudder stripe in your photograph, which suggests that the aeroplane was built in 1916, or later.

Tadcaster was the home of No 38 Training Depot Station.

A photograph of an airborne Shorthorn is below.

Thanks again

Gareth

post-45-1127652955.jpg

Hi Gareth

These are the last two pictures. The labels say "Sopwith Camel" for the aircraft seen from the front, and "?" for the one from behind - but they look to me like two views of the same aircraft. I'm sure you can confirm that or otherwise for me!

Many thanks for all your help and informaton. I'd love to find out more about the aircrew named in this photo album as well - perhaps you could point me in the right direction for further research?

Regards

Veronica

post-8075-1127917313.jpg post-8075-1127917332.jpg

Veronica

They do look like two views of the same aeroplane, don't they? If so, it's Sopwith F.1 Camel C1666, built by Boulton & Paul Ltd, of Norwich, in batch C1601 to C1700. C1666 was delivered to No 3 Aircraft Acceptance Park at Norwich before 12 February 1918 and first allocated to the RFC's Training Division. By April it was with No 81 Sqn RAF (a Home Defence unit based at Scampton) and by 25 May 1918 it was transferred to No 61 Training Depot Station at South Carlton. The aeroplane is unarmed in the photographs, ie the twin Vickers guns normally in front of the cockpit have been removed.

Perhaps you could try the RAF Museum at Hendon or the UK National Archives for more information on the men you're interested in.

I'm pleased that I was able to do a little to assist you in your quest. Again, I have to thank you for posting your photos for use to share.

Best wishes

Gareth

• 1 month later...

What an amazing coincidence ! I have not been looking at the forum much recently so to find this thread was interesting to say the least. As I write this I am looking at the Memorial Scroll and photo of 2/Lt Christopher Harold Sharp who was your great uncle's observer on their final flight on 26th September 1918.

There is an excellent book by Keith Rennles called "Independent Force" which details all the raids of the daylight bombing squadrons of the Independent Air Force June-November 1918.

My e mail address is andrew.nichol1@ntlworld.com, let me have your details and I will send you photocopies of all the information I have gathered on 2/Lt Sharp.

All the best

Andrew

• 6 months later...

Hello to everyone,

I only wish that I had been told about this site some years ago as I have also researched a great uncle of mine who was a pilot on this raid on 26 September 1918. He was Stanley Claude Gilbert the pilot of E632 who was killed in action along with his observer Ralph Buckby.

I visited both of their graves, last Tuesday the 16th May. Stanley is buried in St Ruffine and Ralph Buckby in Moulin Les Metz. Both of them are the only Commonwealth War Graves in the respective Commune Cemetery. There is much speculation as to why they should be buried in adjoining communes but it is believed that where the plane crashed was in a field which is on the boundary of the two communes and that the two bodies ended up one in each commune.

I have copies the Squadron Record Book from 17th 1918 until 26th which covers the period of time that Stanley Claude flew with 99 Sqn.

Also a copy of Lt West's Combats in the Air Report.and Capt Sanders Bomb Raid Report.

Stanleys two Death Certificates, one issued by the General Register Office and the second one by the Mayor of St Ruffine written in German as that part of the Moselle had been annexed into Germany after the war of 1870.

I have got to sit down and take in all the information contained on these two pages and will willingly swap information with anyone else interested.

John Gilbert

Hello to everyone,

I only wish that I had been told about this site some years ago as I have also researched a great uncle of mine who was a pilot on this raid on 26 September 1918. He was Stanley Claude Gilbert the pilot of E632 who was killed in action along with his observer Ralph Buckby.

I visited both of their graves, last Tuesday the 16th May. Stanley is buried in St Ruffine and Ralph Buckby in Moulin Les Metz. Both of them are the only Commonwealth War Graves in the respective Commune Cemetery. There is much speculation as to why they should be buried in adjoining communes but it is believed that where the plane crashed was in a field which is on the boundary of the two communes and that the two bodies ended up one in each commune.

I have copies the Squadron Record Book from 17th 1918 until 26th which covers the period of time that Stanley Claude flew with 99 Sqn.

Also a copy of Lt West's Combats in the Air Report.and Capt Sanders Bomb Raid Report.

Stanleys two Death Certificates, one issued by the General Register Office and the second one by the Mayor of St Ruffine written in German as that part of the Moselle had been annexed into Germany after the war of 1870.

I have got to sit down and take in all the information contained on these two pages and will willingly swap information with anyone else interested.

John Gilbert

Glad you found it John - that's a glass of red that you owe me!

• 1 year later...
I am researching the life of my great-uncle who was killed flying a DH9 on 26th September, 1918. I wuld like to find out any information possible about his life in the RAF and his death. He applied for his commission in late 1917 or early 1918, trained at Cramlington during the summer of 1918 and was drafted to France in August.

The name is Cecil Robert George ABRAHAMS and he was a 2nd Lieutenant.

Any information will be most welcome.

Many thanks, Veronica Elleson

• 4 months later...
Guest ericfranklin

Hello to anyone reading this.

I only discovered this forum last week, whilst researching the War Dead of Thrapston, a small town in Northants.

Ralph Buckby is named only on a Roll of Honour compiled by the local ironfoundry, as an employee. The details found on both this topic and the similar one on Stanley Claude Gilbert have been most illuminating.

Many thanks to all contributors.

I'll be trying other sections for a few "stucks" I've come across.

Eric

• 7 years later...
Guest PUMA CREW

99 SQN MISSION 26 SEPT 1918

The aircraft were organised in two formations:

Formation 1

B9347 Capt P E Welchman (pilot) & 2Lt T H Swan (observer)

B9366 2Lt S McKeever & 2Lt H A Boniface

D544 Lt D H West & 2Lt J W Howard

D7343 2Lt G R A Dick & 2Lt E Smith

C6272 2Lt C R G Abrahams & 2Lt Christopher Harold Sharp

Formation 2

D1668 Capt H Sanders & 2Lt G M Power

D5573 2Lt L G Stern & 2Lt F O Cook

D3270 2Lt H E KIng & Sgt S Beswick

E632 Lt S C Gilbert & 2Lt R Buckby

D3213 2Lt W H Gillett & 2Lt H Crossley

I have available research material photos etc that I will share

Quisque tenax