Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Lancashire Regiment

Drake

Im interested in any information on the 4th south lancashire regiment 1/4 or 2/4

my great grand father was a Terratorial from 1908 to 1916 in the SLR

has anyone got any war diaries or enteries of where they served ? what they were doing?in particular in the autumn/winter of 1916

I would much appreciate any information

1/4th were sent to Poperinge at the beginning of oct. 1916 and spent the remainder of the year in the Salient, mainly engaged in trench work in the Bellewaerde sector and other pioneer duties.

2/4th were still in the UK (Frith Hill barracks) , not proceeding overseas until 15th February 1917.

Dave.

1/4th were sent to Poperinge at the beginning of oct. 1916 and spent the remainder of the year in the Salient, mainly engaged in trench work in the Bellewaerde sector and other pioneer duties.

2/4th were still in the UK (Frith Hill barracks) , not proceeding overseas until 15th February 1917.

Dave.

thank you for the info croonaert most appreciated

1/4th South Lancs Regt were the Pioneer battalion of the 55th (West Lancs) Division.

What was your great grandfather's name?

his name was Benjamin Maguire regiment no. 71

(we belive this is the right man as he was born in warrington and things seem to fit but cant be 100%that this is him yet but it seems to fit )

Where have you got the information from that suggests that this Benjamin Maguire is yours?

If you post the information you have here, someone might be able to assist you to either confirm that you have the right man, or that you haven't.

Regards,

Ken

The only information we have is his family history and what my dad had been told in the 60's by his great grandmother when she was about 80 she told my dad that his great grandfather had been killed in the WW1 i believe she had been a widow ever since he died

His name was Benjamin Maguire born 1879 in Warrington

His wife name was Elizabeth Emma Maguire (Thomason) 1880 they married in 1900

his father was James Maguire 1855-1896 and Mother Hannah maguire (Taylor) 1858

there is one other thing is that he completely disappears in 1901 census at the age of about 21 the last recording is 1891 when he was about 11

I have found for the couple of benjamins that we have found via medal records but gettin proof its him with what weve got t go by is very difficult causwe it doesnt have much info

what weve done is had to go by the fact he was born in Warrington and so he could be in a lancashire based regiment but this is a relatively weak link i know

there where two that where Lacashire or this area called B.Maguire or Benjamin Maguire

Benjamin Maguire

corps:south lancashire regiment

regiment no :71

Medal card of Maguire, B

Corps Regiment No Rank

King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment 3478 Private

Royal Defence Corps 93193 Private

I think where going to have to try and researh the service papers ,will they have parents names and wife names on them then maybe we could correctly identify them thats probabaly the best way

his great grandfather  had been killed in the WW1 i believe she had been a widow ever since he died

So family history says he died in WW1. If so, then he should be one of the four men named B Maguire recorded on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website. None were serving with a Lancashire Regiment at time of death.

John

his name was Benjamin Maguire regiment no. 71

This is one of only two Benjamin Maguires with a medal index card, so it seems like a good bet - and negates family history that he died.

I'm not familiar with South Lancashire service numbers but 71 sounds like it muight be a very early Territorial number.

John

I double checked through the list on the CWGC and none of the men fit either wrong family names or wrong places

im just wondering is there a reason he could of died in the war but didint get recorded cause he wasnt killed in action?? and died later is that possible

is the list the complete people who died in the ww1 or ww2 ?? ,i dont know much about these things

Hi

Not directly in anaswer to your question but given this topic and others that you have started about the 1/4th South Lancs, you may find this pic of interest. It is of men from the 4th South Lancs on their camp in 1910, near Lancaster i believe, and was sent by Corporal 1158 Robert Craine, who was also from Warrington. Your Great grandfather would very likely have been at this camp given that you have him as joining in 1908.

Chris

post-1012-1127289988.jpg

Drake

There's a number of reasons why he might not be commemorated by CWGC. It may be that he had been discharged from the army some considerable time before his death and they didnt know about it. Or that he died from a reason unrelated to his war service. Or he died after the "qualifying date" in 1921. There are other reasons but these are the main ones.

My advice is to persue the chap in the South Lancashires as this seems a very good bet. Your next step are to see if his papers survive at the National Archives. About 30% do - and if you find it then hopefully it should give next of kin. Check out the researchs ection of the Long Long Trail (link is top left of this page). The other suggestion is that you contact the regimental archives/museum at Fullwood Barracks @ Preston. It's possible that they may have some record, particularly with his service number being so low. (If I'm right and it's a Territorial number then these guys were numbered upwards from 1909 when the Territorials weref ormed. 71 must indicate he was among the first.

John

I double checked through the list on the CWGC and none of the men fit either wrong family names or wrong places

im just wondering is there a reason he could of died in the war but didint get recorded cause he wasnt killed in action?? and died later is that possible

is the list the complete people who died in the ww1 or ww2 ?? ,i dont know much about these things

Hi

Not directly in anaswer to your question but given this topic and others that you have started about the 1/4th South Lancs, you may find this pic of interest. It is of men from the 4th South Lancs on their camp in 1910, near Lancaster i believe, and was sent by Corporal 1158 Robert Craine, who was also from Warrington. Your Great grandfather would very likely have been at this camp given that you have him as joining in 1908.

Chris

Thanks Chris mate thats great pic if it is the SLR man then its nice to see the types of things he did i'd heard about the camps the terratorial would go on its good to see the pic

thanks for sharing the picture with us

thank you

Drake

There's a number of reasons why he might not be commemorated by CWGC. It may be that he had been discharged from the army some considerable time before his death and they didnt know about it. Or that he died from a reason unrelated to his war service. Or he died after the "qualifying date" in 1921. There are other reasons but these are the main ones.

My advice is to persue the chap in the South Lancashires as this seems a very good bet. Your next step are to see if his papers survive at the National Archives. About 30% do - and if you find it then hopefully it should give next of kin. Check out the researchs ection of the Long Long Trail (link is top left of this page). The other suggestion is that you contact the regimental archives/museum at Fullwood Barracks @ Preston. It's possible that they may have some record, particularly with his service number being so low. (If I'm right and it's a Territorial number then these guys were numbered upwards from 1909 when the Territorials weref ormed. 71 must indicate he was among the first.

John

Thank you for youre help and info i think too that its likely that the SLR man is our benjamin maguire but like you say checking the service papers is the next step and as i know the parents and wifes name it shouldnt take long to find out if it is him or not

i will probablay put on here when i am certain a tribute to him in the soldiers section

cheers all who have been helping

ive just found something out that might help think it is the SLR man

i was looking on the falwood barracks site for the SLR and it mentioned the regimental parish chapels and St Elphin parish church

My Benjamin Maguire and his wifes parish is st Elphins they didnt live that far away and they got married in that church in 1900 . It dosent really mean anything but they where in that area im still going to double check at the NA cause i want to be 100% sure

• 1 month later...

Quick point on the photo - units of the West Lancshire Division (later 55th) held many of their summer camps at Hornby, near to Lancashire. Some them were mobilised from there in August 1914, having left their respective towns the day before war was declared.

Ste

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have the transcript of a personal diary for Cpl Sidney Thomas Ince 1/4th SLR killed July 1915 cover the period from embarkation up until when he died-would you like a copy of it. I also have Inces death plaque

Cheers

Perce :lol:

Quick point on the photo - units of the West Lancshire Division (later 55th) held many of their summer camps at Hornby, near to Lancashire.  Some them were mobilised from there in August 1914, having left their respective towns the day before war was declared.

Ste