Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Off to Ypres !

cockney tone

Ladies & Gents,

I am off to Ypres for a long weekend with the first night at Varlet Farm (thursday) if there is anybody around for a pre/post Menin Gate drink please let me know.

Also if anybody could recommend a good walk or two in the Varlet Farm area I would love to hear about it, thanking you in anticipation.

regards to you all,

Scottie.

Scottie,

Enjoy yourself, when I'm over there I use Walking the Salient, all good walks but not sure where Valet Farm is in relation to them,

Have a drink for me, I won't get there until 9th November!

Mandy

Mandy,

I have that book and will hopefully be undertaking at least one walk out of it. the Farm is in the area North eastish of ypres up towards Tyne Cot (my first stay so still do not have my exact bearings there yet)

If you instist i will force myself to have a drink, enjoy your trip, it will soon come around.

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie,

When you go in the Cemeteris say hello to the boys from me,

Mandy

Charlotte will be able to help you with a walk route around Varlet Farm, and don't forget she has a massive library of Great War related books you can have a look at if you need to!

Enjoy the trip!

Alan

Mandy,

will do!

Patrick,

planning to attend 2 nights, cannot go to Ypres and not attend (ITS YOUR DUTY)

Alan,

Good thinking, I will drop Charlotte a PM so I can work a route out to look at in advance.

Cheers,

Scottie.

Scottie,

will be there this Thursday and Friday but don't know which night I will be at The Menin Gate as the itnerary is still a bit up in the air.

By what sign shall I know you?

Now if we had badges!!! opps sorry different thread!!!

mandy

A rolled up newspaper, black umbrella (or Poppy umbrella if you have one!), a trilby etc etc etc, you will be wearing a poopy!?

the choises are endless

Mandy

Squirrel,

just look out for the rather debonair handsome chap who is getting the admiring glances from passing ladies !!!!!!!!!

Once you spot him I will be the balding old (49) bloke standing behind him wearing a blue Bergaus zip up !!!!!!

I will be there both nights, however on the friday I will be with a group so it might be more difficult to get away.

Will you have a mobile with you? if yes I will PM you mine.

If you miss me before hand I always make a point of thanking the buglers for their efforts after the ceremony so will be with them.

regards,

Scottie.

I will be with a group as well so looks like I will see you with the buglers then 'cause the people I am with speak to them too.

Look for a tall, late 50's, rat faced geezer with specs and a green/black Berghaus.

At least we can introduce ourselves if nothing else.

Badges, Badges, we don't need no stinking badges! (A line from "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" - Humphrey Bogart - 1948)

Good luck with the trip. Hope you have a fantastic time.

PAUL J

Squirrel,

I will look forward to seeing you there then, just as well that we don't spend too long together as we will start 'blah, blahing' about Chapel Market in the 70's before putting on our 'Pearly King' suits and start searching 'Wipers' for a Pie, Mash & Eel shop! enjoy your trip.

Paul,

Great line, I can see the 'bandit' saying it now!

Squirrel,

sadly our paths did not cross, first time I have been stood up by a bloke!!!!!!

Hope you had an enjoyable trip, I had a great time and have returned with a 'burnt bonce'!

Regards,

Scottie.

Badges, Badges, we don't need no stinking badges! (A line from "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" - Humphrey Bogart - 1948)

PAUL J

Nope - that was from Mel Brooks's "Blazing Saddles" believe it or not. He famously misquoted the line and it's entered into popular usage.

The "Treasure of the Sierra Madre Line was, "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"

It's good to hear that Scottie enjoyed his visit.

I'll get me coat.

Tom (Big Bogart Fan)

'Blazing saddles' now you are talking, my favourite film, still cannot sit through the baked beans/campfire scene without giggling like a school boy! (suppose that speaks volumes about my sense of humour.)

Scottie.

Blazzing Saddles!!!!!

Now there is a film worth watching again and again and again,

Like you Scottie baked beans and laughter go together.

Mandy

Mandy,

Hope we don't get accused of hijacking this valuable thread on a really wonderful walk, but I think the film is improving with age and is an outragous relief to the 'Polictally Correct' world with now seem to live in,

I am off now to find the tape to watch it again while i do the ironing,

Regards and happy giggling!

Scottie.