Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collar badge ID required

Aaron Nelson

Hi pals,

Below is a pic of my Great Uncle Robert Davis who was killed 26th September 1916.

His service record states he was part of the 1st Auckland battalion when he was killed, however upon joining the army he was attached to the Rifle Brigade. Im not to sure what collar badge is depicted in this photo. Can anyone please tell me. Is it Rifle Brigade, or Auckland battalion, or something else again.

Thanks for any advice from the pals in advance.

best regards Aaron.

post-5201-1127107061.jpg

The cap badge is that of the 13th Reinforcements, which he was part of according to the NZEF Casualty Lists. The collar badges are those of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade.

Aaron,

Agree with Terry, definatley New Zealand Rifle Brigade collar badges.

Graham.

No problem with the collar dog, but the cap badge, according to Reginald Cox's book is that of the 13th (North Canterbury and Westland) Regiment, the 13th Reinforcements having Arabic rather than Roman numerals. He might be worng, of course, but I merely add it for discussion.

I have seen Rft badges with both Arabic and Roman numerals, and this man is listed as a 13th Reinforcement.

Not arguing - as I said, I'm happy to defer to your knowledge. ;)

The cap badge is a reinforcement frame that had the numerals sweated onto them. In this case ther 13th Reinforcement draft. It's not the Cap Badge of the (13) West Coast Regiment, as the frame is shaped differently along the base of the scrolling.

According tot he book the Regimental Badges of NZ, the 13th draft had several Rifle Bde reinforcement coys. This man was obviously one of them. It is odd however that he is wearing the badges of the Regiment he was posted into and the Reinforcement draft badge as well. The shot may have been taken overseas when he was in the process of getting his badges issued?

Hi pals,

Thanks for all the advice and info. I think this photo was taken of him prior to leaving New Zealand. Reason I think this, the shot is actually a close up on the face of a much larger shot of him sitting in a large wicker chair in a proper photo studio. This is proudly displayed in the lounge on my Great Aunt, and has been in the family as the " official " portrait of him before he left New Zealand.

His service record states he was in a company of the NZRB right up to when he arrived in England. He spent some time at Sling Camp, I think it was thier that he was transferred from the rifle brigade to 1st Auckland Battalion. this was the unit he saw action in and was killed at the somme, therefore he is recorded as being a casualty of 1st Auckland Brigade.

I think the 13th reinforcements were made up entirley of the NZRB, I have the complete listing of the 13th reinforcements, and all the infantry are NZ Rifle Brigade companies. I came across another listing of reinforcements which had him listed as part of the 5th reinforcements. This listing was referring to the NZ Rifle Brigade reinforcements. I think the 5th NZRB reinforcements were the 13th reinforcments to the NZEF. They were the one and same.

This would explain why he has 13th cap badge and NZRB collar badge.

Any experts out there who can confirm or correct me on this would be great to hear from you.

Thanks again Pals.

regards Aaron.

cheers Aaron.

Aaron

The 13th Reinforcements sailed 30/31st May 1916, but appear to have consisted of reinforcements for the infantry of all the NZ Division with 1584 all ranks for the 1st & second battalions of the Auckland, Wellington, Canterbury, and Otago regiments as well as NZRB so the plot thickens! I've based this statement on "NZEF - its Provision and Maintenance" 1919, although the record is believe it or not open to some interpretation!. The actual troopship record has the 13th reinforcements on two ships - Willochra & Tofua (numbers 54 & 55). TS 54 was OCed by a major of the NZRB, but TS 55 was OCed by a major of the Otago Infantry. Maybe the NZRB men were all on one ship, the remainder on the other. The NZRB men who sailed as 13th reinforcements were either the 5th or 6th group of NZRB men to sail (appear 5th assuming 1st NZRB men were not "reinforcements" for the NZRB).

I'm not sure if this helps or confuses the issue!

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

You have helped to clarify, my man was aboard the Tofua number 55

He is listed in the magazine that was put together as a souvenier of the voyage, the magazine is called "The Crusader"which I have a copy of.

It does appear the NZRB men in this reinforcment were the 5th group of NZRB to go. Thanks for the info Andrew.

I will be paying a visit to the Auckland Museum on Monday, that being the anniversary of his death, 26th September. ILL place a poppy next to his name inscribed on the walls up there.

Cheers Aaron.

Hi

I noticed that he has the black felt triangle under cap-badge for the 3rd Battalion NZRB.

As you said taken pre sling camp, still with NZ forces brass buttons instead of black pre-plastic crown and horn buttons of the rifle brigade, and blackened badges.

Once in sling camp they were ordered to remove, all reinforcement badges.

Cheers Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thanks for that, I had never noticed the black triangle before but you are quite right. Good spotting. Onve again the pals prove thier worth in knowledge

Best regards Aaon.