Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Back from the Battlefields

Guest Catcaper

Just back from a tour of the Battlefields - Verdun, Vimy and the Somme where we had a most enjoyable time during our stay. And sobering. We have read so much about WWI, but actually being there really brings things into perspective.

I want to thank those of you who recommended Christina Holstein as a guide. Thanks again Christina!!! It was great to meet you. Your tour was great. We saw places we would never have found on our own and learned so much. Will be recommending you as a guide to anyone we know who is going over. Keep up the good work!!!!

Our tour of the Somme with Diane Piuk was great as well and we would not hesitate to recommend her as a guide.

We saw Vimy on our own and were pleased with the work done by Veterans Affairs Canada. And surprised, I might add!! If only the rest of our government departments were doing as good a job.....

Unfortunately, the monument at Vimy is under construction and we could not see it - so we will be "forced" to return!!!

Again, thanks to all.

Lynn

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you're back safely, Lynn and thanks for the kind words. I had a great day with you two and look forward to seeing you again some time. I'm glad your Somme tour went well too.

Regards, Christina

Hi Erwin:

Definately didn't forget the Canadians in Flanders.

In fact, we visited them on our last trip to Europe - they were our inspiration.

Thus this past trip to remember all of those who gave - be they Canadian or otherwise.

As I mentioned, we will be returning to see Vimy - and other places we didn't have time to see - and we have to see more of Flanders as well.

I just wish we lived closer.

Lynn