Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The old undesirables...

Chris Boonzaier

As a collector I always find the negative image of vultures scratching around carboot sales to be very tedious and boring.

I have a number of groups directly from the veterans who knew they would be better honored in my collection than on the grandsons leather jacket, and many groups that are better off in my collection than in the money grabbing hands of the relatives who sold them in the first place.

Anyway, I want to avoid a polemic here and ask a question....

A number of folks here have had medals awarded to them...and collect at the same time...

What will YOU do with the medals awarded to you when you are old and grey?

I would like mine to go to an interested family member, that is not someone who goes "OK, right, Ill store the old junk in the attic..." I have seen enough examples of museumsselling, loosing or displacing things to say no way to that lot....

But at the end of the day, if I knew a collector who I knew would honor and respect my awards, i would have nothing against him getting them.

How about the rest of you?

Best

Chris

Chris,

Same here. My daughter would keep all of the family medals, badges, etc and other family history stuff, but the collection would go to auction. I've been collecting for nearly forty years and reckon I've at least another twenty years to do before it has to go.

The difficult thing is what to do with my database to the Northumberland Fusiliers, there's eight years work on it, plus what's being added on a daily basis. Do I offer it to Northumberland County Record Office or the Regimental Museum??? Not an easy one to decide.

Graham.

if I knew a collector who I knew would honor and respect my awards, I would have nothing against him getting them.

Just to let you know I'm Here! :rolleyes:

With regard to your question I do not intend to go without a Fight!

Like you I wouldn't let them go to a Museum,for a multitde of reasons,mainly that most get sidled out the back door,left in Reserve Collections,as they are only intereted in the Top brass or Well known gallantry winners,thus the majority of Medals never get to see the light of Day;let alone be researched properly,To bring joy to another Collector sounds Favourite....It works for me! :D

Just to let you know I'm Here! :rolleyes:

With regard to your question I do not intend to go without a Fight!

Like you I wouldn't let them go to a Museum,for a multitde of reasons,mainly that most get sidled out the back door,left in Reserve Collections,as they are only intereted in the Top brass or Well known gallantry winners,thus the majority of Medals never get to see the light of Day;let alone be researched properly,To bring joy to another Collector sounds Favourite....It works for me! :D

Good... we want to make it official then, whichever one of us goes first leaves the other the medals awarded to him.... do we need it in writing ? ;-)

And if you both go before me then i will happily look after it all for you both!

But hopefully that won't be for a long time yet.

Mandy

A number of folks here have had medals awarded to them...and collect at the same time...

What will YOU do with the medals awarded to you when you are old and grey?

I'm afraid my medal (C.S.M.) didn't make it to me being old and grey!

I flogged it a couple of months after leaving the army!!!! (It didn't mean anything to me anyway). A similar story lies behind the medals issued to my grandad and my dad , but my other grandad simply binned his in the canal!

Dave

Hi Folks

Definitely a tricky question, & one which has myriad answers.

Personally, I have few relatives, none of whom I believe to be interested in the family medals, including mine, that I have in safekeeping, so really do not know what will happen. I suppose I will have to leave them to RAFA or the RBL to be sold to raise funds for the organistaion.

Just thought I would give my thoughts.

Cheers

Mark

I'm afraid my medal (C.S.M.) didn't make it to me being old and grey!

I flogged it a couple of months after leaving the army!!!!  (It didn't mean anything to me anyway). A similar story lies behind the medals issued to my grandad and my dad , but my other grandad simply binned his in the canal!

Dave

there now lying on den watts chest then