Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery Fuses

docchippy

:rolleyes:

Gift from Ypres a 18pdr shell fuse. Marked on underside 80/VII with other marks of outline of fuse with letter A over letter S inside it. Next to which 75 also stamped. Exterior marked with what appear to be time graduations so I assume this is a shrapnel fuse head No80.

Does anyone have any idea what these look like inside how it all worked or where a schematic diagram is available? also what the stampings mean?

Cleaning it up with paste soln of salt, vinegar and flour - hard work and probably more use on my chips, but don't want to start using abrasive paper. Any other ideas?

No 80 Mk V Time and Percussion Fuze from Treatise on Ammunition 1915

Action of time portion:

The fuze cover having been removed, the fuze is set by turning round the lower time ring by maens of a fuze key or setter, until the setting mark on the ring is opposite the graduation ordered. On the scharge the lighting pellet sets back, straighteningout the arme of the stirrup spring, carrying its detonator on to the upper point of the needle. The flash from the exploding detonator passes through the hole in the stem communicating with the top ring, and ignites the lower ring, and blowing out the aluminium disc covering the gas escape hole. The top ring burns in the same direction as the spin of the shell until it comes to the exposed powder pellet at the beginning of the lower time ring, which is fired, igniting the lower time ring, and blowing out the covering disc for the gas escape hole. The lower ring now burns back the reverse way to the upper ring until it arrives at the powder pellet in the body, which is fired, igniting the powder in the magazine of the fuze, and the bursting charge of the shell.

Action of the percussion portion:

On shock of discharge the brass ferrule sets back, straightening out the arms of the stirrup spring, and so unmasks the front end of the percussion pellet. The creep spring prevents rebound action on shock of discharge and creeping action. On graze, the percussion pellet, with the ferrule, is thrown violently forward, compressing the creep spring, and carries its detonator on to the lower point of the needle. The flash from the exploded detonator passes down the hole in the screw plug and fires the magazine of the fuze, the flash from which, passing through the hole in the bottom plug, explodes the bursting charge of the shell.

That should keep you busy for a bit.

post-8-1059515692.jpg

I've found the following method works quite well for cleaning fuzes.

First remove as much dirt and rust as possible using soap and water, followed by a good brushing with a wire brush.

Then soak the fuze in a weak solution of Hammerite Advanced Rust Remover. This should be available in any good hardware store.(Not computer hardware :lol: )

The instructions on the container recommend diluting the solution 1:10. I would suggest you make it weaker but be prepared to leave the fuze soaking for a lengthyu period.

A useful tip for a container to soak the fuze in is to use the plastic measuring cup that comes with boxes of washing powder. Or any disposable plastic cup.

Check daily until rust has gone. Refresh solution if necessary every 4 - 5 days. Wash well, dry and then burnish with a wire brush. I use one that is on the other end of a bench top angle grinder. (Take care)

Finish with some metal polish; Duraglit is OK.

Hope that helps.

Garth

Possibly a silly question. I presume a properly fired fuze no longer has nasty explosive bits left inside. But one that did not properly ignite presumably could have. How can you tell the difference (without a naked flame present :lol: )?

Chris

The simple answer is that you can't. A couple of years ago a Sandhurst lecturer was was killed by a fuse that he bought home from a battlefield trip to the Western Desert. You already know my views about touching battlefield munitions of course.

Terry Reeves

And on top of that I have actually seen French cops of some kind leading a guy way in the Argonne for gathering bits. I guess about all of us have done it but I have not taken anything bigger that .303 cartridge.

I guess if there is any chance of there being explosives in the fuses, then soaking them in vinegar, rust remover, etc isn't best practice.

Michael