Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For markl: New pictures from Vert Bois Ferme

egbert

Mark, i have been at Vert Bois Ferme yesterday; according to this earlier thread (pictures are lost unfortunately) we discussed both our Granddads "meeting" at/near Vert Bois ferme.

Here is a summary from the actions around Vert Bois from German IR 49 regimental history:

IR 49 took position between Les Lauriers and roughly Vert Bois on April 22nd. They rotated with IR 93 and 72.

25 April: Brits attack left wing at Vert Bois and forced 6./49 to fall back

26 April: I. and II./49 loose forward line. III./49 with support of one Btl of IR 14 counterattacked and regained all lost ground to include parts of Vert Bois.

27 April: A raid against Vert Bois (Codeword "Helene") with parts of Granddads IR 49 in combination with IR 140 was succesful. Also a raid against a farm 200m southeast of Les Lauriers was succesful. Commander of raid "Helene" against Vert Bois was Lt. d.R. Freyer

28 April: IR 49 was shifted towards the right sector roughly in front of Les Lauriers

Granddad was at that time in 4.Kompanie, I.Battalion/IR49 and I suppose he somehow "met" your Granddad in the fields around Vert Bois -both are reading our stories from above with a smile now serving together in the Grand Army up there (Granddad was killed near Les Lauriers 1 May 1918)

Here are the pics: Vert Bois is under new ownership since last month with lots of restoration going on

post-80-1126993969.jpg