Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery Registration

Jim Gordon

Can anyone direct me to a source that details the method adopted for setting up the Artillery to fire a barrage (unregistered) without the need for ranging shots ?

I would like to get as detailed a description of the mathematics, physics, ballistics and mechanics as is available.

Regards

Jim Gordon

Jim

Have you looked at Peter Chasseaud's `Artillery's Astrologers: A History of British Survey and Mapping on the Western Front 1914-1918' Mapbooks, East Sussex, 1999? Although he does not go into the mathematics he is very good at explaining in detail how the art wwas developed. He also has a very good bibliography, including all the relevant Artillery pamphlets.

The only problem is that the book is expensive (over 550 pages). i think I obtianed my copy from Naval & Military Press.

Charles

Jim

You might also try the following website: www.defencesurveyorsassociation.org who have a number of interesting publications for sale which may help.

Terry Reeves

Jim

I have discovered an excellent website on the technical and organisational aspects of Artillery "British Artillery in World War 2", although WW2 I'm sure a lot would still be relevant.

http://members.tripod.com/~nigelef/index.htm

Regards

Alan Abbott.