Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme - Rossignol Wood/Hebuterne

egbert

Today 17.9.2005

Dust raised as an Audi 2.0 litres is being forced a road near Rossignol Wood, to participate in the research for Granddads advance towards Hebuterne March 1918. One unidentified German soldier taking the picture on the field towards the road.

post-80-1126990103.jpg

I presume that is Owl Trench Cemetery in the background egbert. Scene of fighting as the German Army withdrew to the Hindenburg Line.

Great photos, thanks for sharing them.

Regards, and to Chester, Chris.

Ernst Junger wrote his second book - Copse 125 - about his time near Rossignol Wood.

In it there is a description of repelling a British trench raid.

I use this when taking groups around Bois le Pretre. The trench description is absolutely precisely the same and you can pick out every part of it. A remarkable demonstration of the standardisation of the trenches.

He wrote Storm over Steeel partly about the time he spent in the Regnieville sector which is next to the Bois.

to get my bearings from Rossignol Wood - which direction is Puisieux and Bucquoy from where you took the photo?

If I have my bearings correct the camera is looking pretty much due west with Gommecourt top right, Gommecourt Park on the horizon centre, Gommecourt No. 2 cemetery in the distance behind the pylon surrounded by a line of trees and Hebuterne behind the trees on the left horizon. Puisieux would be directly behind the camera and Bucquoy to the rear right of the camera.

If I have my bearings correct the camera is looking pretty much due west with Gommecourt top right, Gommecourt Park on the horizon centre, Gommecourt No. 2 cemetery in the distance behind the pylon surrounded by a line of trees and Hebuterne behind the trees on the left horizon.  Puisieux would be directly behind the camera and Bucquoy to the rear right of the camera.

Yep, he is right! :)

Yep, he is right! :)

Gt Grandfather was KIA between Rossignol Wood and Bucquoy. I think one of the possibilities, depending on which company he was in, places him very very close to where you took the photograph. I would reckon on a little bit to your right, just up, and forwards from Rossignol Wood.

The other possibility is about another four hundred yards or so closer to Bucquoy.

having never been there, this is fascinating.

27th March 1918. 2/5th Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment.

regards

doogal

doogal, i will post a panorama pic from a standpoint where you can be pretty sure, your Granddad saw action. i have some few pics from that area because I am kind of addicted to Waeldchen 125 due to Ernst Juenger's outstanding descriptions; also because my Granddad fought in vicinity 1914 and 1918

post-80-1127217762.jpg

Hi egbert,

I remember this pic - the map helps a great deal.

In fact, having worked through the map with the diaries, the one potential spot where he may have been buried is slightly behind the POV for this picture.

If you go from the red trench that is directly behind this POV and follow it along to our right until you reach the elbow/change of direction of the trench. From here, that is one place where he may have been buried.

The other possibility is directly in front of you, if you were to walk forwards from where the POV is, between Rossignol and the wood to our right. In fact, I have to check, as from memory, you may even be standing right on top of where some of the fighting was that day.

I'm considering a visit there next March.

regards

doogal

• 2 months later...

I have really enjoyed reading all these entries. I had a vague interest in the Somme and recently went with a mate for a daytrip. I am now totally hooked. The first place we stopped was Owl Trench then went for a bit of walk in Rossignol wood - in relative ignorance of its specific history. It was really quite striking, with the clear trench depressions and old shell holes (plus of course the old concrete pill box). This place was really poignant, especially the way it is overgrown and very quiet. Anyway, a local chap was hunting in RW and kicked us out (apparently he almost shot us!) though we did have a bit of a chat and he recommended reading Junger. Having just read Storm of Steel, I understand that Copse 125 refers to RW. However, I really need to know more about this specific place and would be grateful if anyone has any tips - books, tours, maps etc. Maybe it's become I am a scientist, but it seems to me that the best way to understand what it was like on the Somme is to take a little piece and research it in great detail. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Steve

Steve,

I strongly strongly recommend reading Ernst Juenger's the book "Waeldchen 125" (the original) alias "Copse 125" (the English translated version) alias Rossignol Wood

post-80-1133635172.jpg

I am interested in the men of Tipton who died in the Great War. I have visited RW Cemetery numerous times to visit the 3 Tipton men (Nickilin, Shipton, Wootton all 1/5 S.Staffs) buried there and wondered what event lead to their deaths on 14th March 1917. Google'd it and came up with this article which explains all. http://www.fairmile.fsbusiness.co.uk/leonard.htm

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Steve,

I strongly strongly recommend reading Ernst Juenger's the book "Waeldchen 125" (the original) alias "Copse 125" (the English translated version) alias Rossignol Wood

Hi Egbert

Thanks for the entry - I will definately do that. The aerial shot is amazing. Is that Rossignol wood, and where do you find this stuff. If it is RW, I would like to get a bigger version.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Egbert

If it is RW, I would like to get a bigger version.

Thanks

Steve

Me too :lol:

Thats it! copied from his book "Im Waeldchen 125"

• 1 month later...
Me too :lol:

Thats it! copied from his book "Im Waeldchen 125"

Hi Egbert,

I finally got a copy of Copse 125. Had another trip to Rossignol Wood December 29 '05. Here are some photos I took for anyone interested. They do not really bring out the terrain as much as I would have like, especially the shell holes and trenches that are still really obvious to see. It was very eerie.

Steve

post-9483-1138223233.jpg post-9483-1138223247.jpg

Did you get any pics for the area of RW towards Bucquoy? -

I notice the second from last pic looks like it is taken from Rossignol Wood - which wood is that you are facing?

thanks for posting these

regards

doogal

Hi - glad you liked them. I have posted some more. Apologies for putting one per post but there seems to be v low limit on max file size. In reponse to doogal, I have annotated a satellite view of the area. The picture you ask about is a view from 'apex' to 'wood A':

post-9483-1138458255.jpg