Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royals Engineers ?

Clive

post-7944-1126869119.jpgHi this is a photograph of my Great Uncle Sidney Gerald Landy taken before he went overseas .Can anyone identify his regiment for me please .Clive

Can you give us a closer scan of the cap badge and his shoulder strap please.

He is not Royal Engineers, just by the cap badge and shoulder titles, the cap badge comes out in the middle like the Roayal Marines and the shoulder titles for the Sappers are just RE these go up either side could it be Royal Marine Light Infantry ?

Cheers,

Rob

Gents,

It's 9th(Chatham)Bn, Royal Marine Bde, Royal Naval Division. Therefore he is Royal Marine Light Infantry.

On it's formation in 1914 the battalions within the Division were all numbered;-

1st R.Naval Bde

1st(Drake)Bn

2nd(Hawke)Bn

3rd(Benbow)Bn

4th(Collingwood)Bn

2nd R.Naval Bde

5th(Nelson)Bn

6th(Howe)Bn

7th(Hood)Bn

8th(Anson)Bn

R.Marine Bde

9th(Chatham)Bn

10th(Portsmouth)Bn

11th(Plymouth)Bn

12th(Deal)Bn

Go on- tell us where you found out.

Took the fun out of us trying to do it from the photo!

Wow ,I 'm impressed . Could one of you chaps or chapettes tell me where to go next .I'm new to researching military history etc . Any information /help would be brilliant . I know that he went to Gallipoli and was wounded ,but thats about it .

Clive :D

Lads,

If you look above his shoulder title you'll see the figure '9' above R.M.L.I.(photo saved and blown up), and as we were in agreement that due to the badge plate on the foreign service helmet he looked more R.Marines than infantry.

I knew I had seen R.N.D. personnel wearing numerals before, so went to the ORBAT of 63rd(RN)Division and found all of their battalions were numbered and named on it's formation.

The photo is in itself a rarity and R.N.D. collectors would pay an arm and a leg for it, as you will know if you follow Ebay.

I could also kick myself because many many years ago I came across a similar photo of a group of medical orderlies in khaki drill uniforms and foreign service helmets wearing(if I remember correctly R.M. collar badges on the helmet). Not being into RM at the time I gave it a miss, only to discover much later, through research that the No.3 Field Ambulance, R.N.D. was infact recruited from members of the St.John's Ambulance Bde for the R.M.

So there you go, a day in the life of a very sad man.

Graham.

P.S.

The huts are built to War Office Type Plan BD85A/14 as authorised by Army Council Instruction 352 of Sept 1914 - seriously!!!

Graham,

You weren't striking us as that sad - until you got to the PS!!!

Clive,

The basics on the 63rd Division are here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/63div.htm

I don't think you will find an MIC online for him as he will be regarded as Navy. The Navy medal cards will be in ADM 171 files at the National Archives at Kew.

Steve.