Patrick H

died aged 32 on 25th Sept 1916 remembered on Thiepval Monument

Anyone help with the above chap. Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks

Patrick

BMD details:

Birth registered:

Bruty, George Edgar, 1884, December, Billericay Essex

Can't find him on quick search of 1901 Census.

1891:

Hill Cottage, Crescent Road, South Weald, Billericay.

Parents : Henry (48, Blasterer (?!), born South Weald) & Martha (46, b. Doddinghurst) Bruty

George E Bruty, age 6, born South Weald.

Brothers : Albert N (or M), Postman, 21; Frances, 19, Blasterer; Thomas, 14; Henry W, 12.

Sister : Elizabeth, 11.

All children recorded as born in South Weald.

I realise that "Plasterer" might be a logical occupation, but it certainly looks like a B, and not like the P of Postman.

Steve.

Edited street name on 2nd look after Stephen Nulty's post

Edited by Stebie9173

Patrick/Steve

Mis-transcribed as "Bontry" in the 1901 census, the family are living in Crescent Road, South Weald.

Thanks Stephen. Interesting that 1901 shows them living in Crescent Rd "South Weald" as that road is in Brentwood not South Weald

Hopefully some more info will be coming on his war service

Does the 1901 census say anything more about the family and his occupation as he would have been 17 then

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick

He's shown as "House Boy (Domestic)".

What else did you wish to know about the family?

The census is definitely South Weald. I can check the details of the Enumeration District if you need to know any more.

Having seen Stephen's post, i think they were at the same address in 1891. There was an abbreviation "Rd" that I couldn't make out.

I have edited my initial post.

Steve.

• 1 month later...

The census is definitely South Weald. I can check the details of the Enumeration District if you need to know any more

Steve, thanks for that, I seem to have missed it when you posted. The address is fine, South Weald is now part pf Brentwood Borough Council albeit that it was once the "dominant" village.

I dont suppose there would be any more information on the family other than what is on the Census Returns but I would certainly be grateful for anything more.

Thanks

Patrick

Can any Leicestershire buffs help with information as to where they were on this date, war diary etc, please

Patrick

Can any Leicestershire buffs help with information as to where they were on this date, war diary etc, please

Patrick

According to "The Tigers" by Matthew Richardson, the 8th Battalion attacked Guedecourt (as part of the Battle of Morval) on 25/26 September 1916.

Mike