Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt. Loyal N Lancs/ Pte Crow Essex Reg

Myrtle

Pte Arthur Arnold Crow was KiA 10th October 1917 at the age of 25. According to CWGC he enlisted in the Artist's Rifles in August 1914 and resigned his Captaincy in the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment in July 1916 due to ill-health. It is said that on his recovery he could not regain his former rank without abandoning foreign service so he enlisted as a private ?

He was educated at Orley Farm School, Harrow and Haileybury College. His parents lived at "The Firs" Monkhams Avenue, Woodford Green, Essex.

Does anyone have any further information on this man ? I would appreciate any information that LNL and Essex experts may have on this one.

I forgot to mention that I can not find a mic for service in North Lancs or Artists' Rifles.

Myrtle

London Gazette confirms resignation of Temp-Captaincy:

7-7-1916 (7-7-1916)

Loyal N. Lancs. Regt.

2nd Lt. (temp. Capt.) A. A. Crow (attached to a Prov. Bn.) relinquishes his comm. on account of ill-health. 8th July 1916.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

London Gazette confirms resignation of Temp-Captaincy:

7-7-1916 (7-7-1916)

Loyal N. Lancs. Regt.

2nd Lt. (temp. Capt.) A. A. Crow (attached to a Prov. Bn.) relinquishes his comm. on account of ill-health. 8th July 1916.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

Steve

Thank you for the information. I forgot about the Gazette :blink:

Prov. Battalion sounds like it could be Provost Battalion. Wasn't that the Regimental Police ?

I wonder what the health issues were ? When I saw the date July 1916 I initially thought that Arthur Crow may have suffered following the Somme, especially when the CWGC details say "without abandoning foreign service".

Regards Myrtle

• 5 months later...
Bringing this to the top again in hope that someone may confirm that Prov. Bt. means Provost Battalion and not something else.

Myrtle - have you contacted Haileybury College about his school record - there's a very active archivist there. This is from there webiste http://www.haileybury.herts.sch.uk/archive...BURY%201917.htm

ARTHUR ARNOLD CROW

Private 39134 2nd Battalion., Essex Regiment

who died on Wednesday 10 October 1917 . Age 25 .

Additional Information: Son of Arthur and Edith Crow, of Woodford Green, Essex. Educated at Orley Farm School, Harrow and Haileybury College. Enlisted in Artists' Rifles in Aug., 1914, and resigned his Captaincy in the Loyal North Lancs Regt. on account of ill-health, July, 1916. Finding on recovery that he could not regain his former rank without abandoning foreign service, he thereupon enlisted as a Private. Cemetery: CEMENT HOUSE CEMETERY Langemark-Poelkapelle, West-V., Belgium Grave or Reference Panel Number: IX. C. 9 Haileybury Register 1862-1983 Lawrence 1906-10 born 25 September 1892 Killed in Action.

Myrtle

It stands for Provisional Battalion. A number of Territorial Force Battalions were raised in mid- 1915. The men for these were found from the 2nd and 3rd line Battalions who were not available for overseas service an men who were medically downgraded. These were known as Provisional Battalions. By the summer of 1916 there were 41 such Battalions grouped into 10 Provisional Brigades. Three of these brigades were used to form 71 -73 Home Service Divisions.

Many battalions were disbanded when the Graduated battalions of the Training Reserve were posted to Home Service Battalions in 1917. Remaining Provisional Battalions became Home Service Territorial Battalions on 1.1. 17. 221-227 Provisional Brigades were later renamed "Mixed Brigades" and served on the East Coat until the end of the war.

Terry Reeves