Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Floyde DCM CEF NO Trace?

HarryBettsMCDCM

Some years ago I bought from a local Flea Market,a Canadian Memorial Cross named to:769088 Segt Frank Floyde,in its Case of Issue & accompanied by a Memorial Card from the Canadian Government & a Tattered piece of DCM Ribbon,about 1" in length & frayed & faded,Interesting, I thought, & proceeded to send off my letter & SAE to the CWGC {Well I did say it was a Few years ago!} some days later the usual polite & informative letter dropped on the mat,{I do miss that!} suffice to say that Sergeant Frank Floyde;124th Bn; CEF; of Crediton Devon,died of Menigitis in September 1915,in Canada,no mention of a DCM & having died in Canada unlikely he had served Overseas to get one,just a scrap of Ribbon then..........A few years on & I had obtained the address of the Canadian Service Record Office,Another letter.....A wek or two later & a wad of Papers dropped through the letterbox,with a Canadian postal frank mark,The top page was a revalation..Frank Floyde had served prior to his enlisting into the CEF with the RHA for some years including service in South Africa 1899~1902 & had been AWARDED the Distinguished Conduct Medal,Accessing Abbotts DCM Register for pre 1914 DCMs I thought @ last I was onto something however I was foiled no Floyde RHA was awarded the DCM acording to his Book........

& so there my story has ground to a Halt,His papers for the Boer War era do not apparently survive & as yet no trace of his DCM has been found,yet there it is in B&W on his enlistment document.His Papers also state he has a Bullet Scar on his body,which again suggests his previous service....Anyone fancy looking up in the Crediton Papers for 1899~1902?