Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rev Ronald John Beresford Irwin DSO MC and bar Bar

Terry_Reeves

Can any forum members tell me which Division this gallant padre served with? I have most of his career details but am keen to pin down the actions in which he won his awards. He clearly was a man of some substance as he was given special promotion th Chaplain First Class straight from 4th Class and was serving as Assistant Chaplain - General to 4th Army from April 1918. As you can see, he succumbed to injuries after the war and his grave is a little neglected.

post-1-1059411563.jpg

Terry,

If you contact David Blake, curator of the Museum of Army Chaplaincy, I am sure he will be able to help.

They do charge for research undertakings though.

Bob.

Chris

Thanks, I already have these details. You maybe interested to know that he was vicar at Lillington for a while after the war, just a minute or two away from you of course! He is buried at Napton.

Bob

Thanks, I have had contact with the museum before in respect of another matter.

Terry Reeves

All the best people are from round here. None of your Coventry riffraff. :lol:

Did you know Vera Brittain is buried at Old Milverton, a short walk from my house?

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a Leamington Spa thread...

Terry if you contact me off forum I will put you in touch with someone who is researching WW1 chaplains at the moment.

Stuart many thanks. Could I ask what publication the photo came from?

Chris, only a third of her is buried at Old Milverton so you lot down the road aren't quite as exclusive as you make out. The last time I looked her memorial was looking a bit tatty as well.

Best wishes

Terry (riff-raff) Reeves

Could I ask what publication the photo came  from?

The War Illustrated Magazine 3rd February 1917.

Stuart

Thanks to all those who responded to my question. The Rev RJB Irwin appears to have won some of his awards with the 7th (Meerut) Division on the Western Front and in Mesoptamia and he may have had a connection with 2nd Leicesters. His documents survive, albeit heavily weeded, but there is also a darker side to the story which hopefully India Office records will shed some more light on.

Terry Reeves

What's the bit about only 1/3 of Vera Brittain being buried there? Since I fell in love with her only after she was dead I have a right to know. Bet there have been lots of others too.

Hi terry;

i have another picture of Rev. Irwin from the DSO 1916 - 1923 book if you are interested (email your address if you do not already have).His DSO award was in the London Gazette on 22nd Dec 1916 = plus the following info which you probably already have:

IRWIN, REV. R.J.B. (D.S.O. ); b. 1.8.80; o.s of late Rev. A. Irwin of Richmunt, co. Logford and Alicia, d. of W.D.Dent, J.P; educ Winchester Keble College, Oxford (M.A.); ordained 1905; Chaplain in India, 1909-14; served in Europ War; Despatches; MC and Bar; Croix de Guerre; special promotion to senior chaplain; was Chaplain General of 4th Army; Canon of Allahabad Cathedral since 1920.

Terry,

Just a thought - in view of the Indian connection perhaps a posting on SAGongs might bring forth some information. You would have to subscribe to obtain access.

Stuart

• Admin

Vera Brittain died 29 March 1970. She was cremated, and most of her ashes scattered on the grave of her brother Edward. Veras husband, Sir George Catlin died 7 Feb 1979, and he was buried beside his father in Old Milverton.

Presumably, her husband wanted to be buried with some of his first wife.

(My edition of Berry and Bostridge Vera Brittian A Life says that Veras ashes were scattered on Edwards grave, but my fathers copy adds on about her ashes being placed in Sir Georges grave.)

Michelle :blink:

Firstly, Michelle doesn't record that it was her daughter, Shirley Williams who scattered some of her ashes around Edward's grave in Italy.

As regards Irwin the history of the Indian Corps in France (Merryweather and Smith; p414/5) is helpful.

Inseparably bound up with the record of the 2nd Leicesters in this war is the name of the Rev. Ronald Irwin, the regimental chaplain. Coming from india with the corp, he was present at all the actions in which the battalion was engaged, and non-combattant though he was, showed on many occasions as high a degree of heroism as any soldier could attain. He accompanied the Indian troops to Mesopotamia, where he again displayed the greates bravery and devotion to his duties, attending the wounded and dying under the heaviest fire, and was eventually very severely wounded in carrying a man out of action. For his conspicuous gallantry he has received the DSO and the MC with a bar

At the time the 2nd Leicesters were in company with the 2/8th Ghurkhas.

He was with The 7th (Meerut) Division 28th (or Gharwal) Indian Infantry Brigade

See http://www.1914-1918.net/Meerut_div.htm

Martin

Thanks for the confirmation. His service record only mentions the Meerut Division. A letter dated 1928, from a gentleman in Leicester to the War Office, trying to find his whereabouts, states he was with 2nd Leicesters.

As a matter of interest does the history mention Lt Col Elsmie, 56th Rifles? He is another man who I am researching and was murdered in India in 1917.

Terry Reeves

... As a matter of interest does the history mention Lt Col Elsmie, 56th Rifles? He is another man who I am researching and was murdered in India in 1917. ...

Terry,

Sorry, there is no mention in the index of Elsmie.

It is worth bearing in mind that Merryweather and Smith only covers the period in France through 1915 and not anything later.

Martin

Martin

Thanks for your efforts. Out of interest, Rev Irwin was effectively was forced to retire from the Indian Ecclesiastical Service in 1922, after certain allegations were made about his off-duty activities in India. I have managed to gather a lot more information in the last few days, and it is turning out to be a rather interesting and unusual story.

Terry Reeves