Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Previous Career

Joe Walsh

I recently aquired the service papers of william Till, my grandad and on it in the "Have you ever served in any branch of His Majesty Forces......" He has written what is below. Any info or thoughts on what it might be. He was born in 1875 so could he of been in the boer war. My grat uncle his son told me he remembered more medals than the ones I said he got in WW1. So maybe he got more campaighn medals from a previous war.

Joe

post-6847-1126634229.jpg

...months....

One more word to go!

Steve.

Thanks for the suggestions. I would of appreciated if the other 55 people gave their ideas too. Could the word after Brigade be Scotch or South?

Thanks

Joe

Could it be "7 months paid Lance Corporal" ??

Steve.

Joe ,

Before Rifle Brigade is that a 3 over a dash , could be three years Rifle Brigade .

Would like to see more of the Attestation Form to try and match letters .

Chris

I can't post it all but heres some more. Hope it helps. Could well be 3 years.

Thanks alot. It could well be Lance- Corporal. I do think its 7 months now. But if you notice the writing still trails out to the end of the white.

Joe

post-6847-1126730112.jpg

Joe

There are documents to a W Till in PIN 26 / 14649 which refers to disablity from malaria and covers the years 1898 - 1921. Might be worth checking out if you have not already done so.

Terry Reeves

You could also try getting a copy at a darker setting for this sheet, it might bring up the words.

He was born in 1875 and his son remembers there being more than four medals before they were sold and because someone mentioned malaria, could he of been in another war, before ww1?

Also he was in 2nd Labour Battalion but he arrived 2 days before the battalion . Anyone know why that is?

Thanks for all your help. Really useful.

Joe

Can't talk for RE but the 6th Northants (and 7th Bedfords) of 18th Division both sent an advance party over to France before the main battalion (though they arrived one day before). They were there presumably to make sure verything was set up for the main party.

Steve.