Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corps Commanders X & V.

Tony Lund

I need to sort out exactly who some of the senior officers are and which units they belong to, so if some kind soul could forgive my ignorance and fill in a couple of gaps it will be much appreciated.

I am looking for the full names and titles of the Commander of X Corps in September 1916, and the same for V Corps in May 1917. I would also like to find out if these men left any memoirs behind.

I should have dug it out of the Official History before I sent it back but it didn't seem important then.

Thanks,

Tony.

It seems that X Corps in September 1916 was commanded by “Jacobs”, but I have also seen Lieutenant General Sir T. L. N. Morland mentioned as X Corps Commander in 1916, more detail is clearly needed if at all possible.

Tony.

Thank you, no mistaking that name. I see that Lieutenant General Sir T. L. N. Morland is mentioned as a descendant of William the Conqueror.

Tony.

Tony,

his papers are at the IWM (there is a link on the NA site to the Nat Register of Archives)

I have a feeling that there was a thread here on 'generals' and I have a feeling I've seen a list of corps cpmmanders somewhere on the web, if I find it I'll look up V Corps for you (I had Morland to hand as I'm working on 41 Div)

good luck

J

Thanks, I have just run a quick forum search for “Generals” expecting an unmanageable number and I got 21 pages. I haven’t quite got the time for that little lot.

Tony.

Morland commanded X Corps from 15 Jul 15 to 15 Apr 18. V Corps was commanded by Lt Gen E A Fanshawe in May 17. His dates in command were 5 Jul 16 - 28 Apr 18.

Charles M