Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aussies in Libya?

paul guthrie

Something strange from the Wolff book " To Australians the broad crest of the ridge recalled the rocky broken spurs of the Libyan desert where they had once trained." What?

The Australians fought alongside British, Indian, NZ, South African and Egyptian troops in putting down the rising of the Senussi tribe in Libya in 1915-16.

The Senussi were encouraged by the Turks & armed by the Germans.

Guest stevebec

Yes but most of these actions took part in the western Egyptian area not Libya.

There were both Australian and British Camel Corps Companies stationed at well known places as Matruth and Sidi Barrani (spelling?)

These companies patroled the desert on the look out for natives and Germans landing arms shippments by U Boat.

Patrols went as far as Tripoli.

By late 1916 the aussie companies were withdrawn into the forming Camel Corps battalions while two british companies remained for the rest of the war. these were rotatuted with other british companies during that time.

In fact germans continued to send arms to the natives in Libya up untill October 1918. Two U boats were converted from mine laying to do this job.

On a number of occasions the native cheifs gave the U Boat captains presents of a Camel which the Germans brought back to Germany.

The question how did they get a camel in a U Boat and under water across the Med patroled by British, French and Italian warships and planes is a good one if you want to here it.

S.B

Me too! Glad I asked the question, that's a great story. I understand u boats smelled pretty badly anyway, then add a camel!

During World War 2, the Senussi became an important ally in the Libyan Desert.

Cyrenaica was until 1912 independant under the nominal suzurainty of the Turks.The Italians having invaded and occupied Tripolitania (west Libya) with ease attempted to settle Cyrenaica but met stiff resistance from the Senussi tribe who engaged the Italian invaders with guerrilla warfare which continued until 1931.However they had had to relinguish the coastal towns of Benghazi,Derna and Tobruck but carried on the struggle from the interior.The Great War saw the allies take precautions to safeguard the Suez Canal Zone from the threat of the Turks by action against the Senussi and any Central Power aid. After the Great War ,the Senussi continued their uprising against the Italians.

The Senussi waged guerilla war against the Italians until 1931 when they were crushed ,the leader Omar Mukhar being captured and hanged after a series of massacres perpetrated by General Graziani's force.A large number of Senussi then fled to Egypt and time would be on their side.

By the late 1930s the relationship between Germany and Italy again threatened the Canal Zone and when Italy declared war on Great Britain in June 1940,this became reality.In 1940 Senussi tribesman were eagerly recruited in a force,to be known as the Libyan Arab Force,equipped initially with Italian rifles of Great War vintage.The Senussi were to be trusted in the Western Desert confict and gave valuable assistance to the Long Range Desert Group in their forays behind the Italian and later German lines through the Qattara Depression.

Vladimar Peniakoff, aka Pokski had before the war lived with the Senussi tribe and had been able to harness their undoubted opposition to the long stayed invader.I think this man with the LRDG possibly gave David Stirling the idea of the force that was to become the Special Air Service.

Regards

Frank East

Guest stevebec

This is the story of the underwater Camel.

The two U Boats converted from mine laying to cargo/arms boats were UC 20 and UC 73.

During a mission in June 1918 UC 20 under Oblt Heinrich Kukat delivered arms to the arabs across the beach outside Misrata which is south east of Tripoli in the Gulf of Sirte.

The Arab Sheik wanted to return the gift but what could he give them? his daughter? No he gave the Germans a great prize one of his best Camels.

Now the U Boat Captain wad a Prussian officer and a gift to him was a gift to the German crown. But how was he to get a camel into the sub and travel across the Med to its base in Austria.

The first thing was to get the beast into the water. There was no dock so a rope was tied around its neck and using the rubber boat pulled into the surf.

It was then pulled out to the U Boat which submerged under the camel to get it on the deck.

This rope was made as long as the U Boat at periscope depth so if the boat was under water all that could be seen was the head of a camel.

And this is how they went back the Pola, during the day the U Boat traveled submerged pulling the swimming camel while at night the Boat traveled on the surface letting her rest on the deck.

Now the U Boat could only travel slowly during the day but the Camel was not use to swimming either.

This comes from a book by Ernest Hashagen "U Boats Westwarts Meine Fahrten um England".

During the war the two U Boats brought back to Germany, two by UC 20 and one by UC 73. What the was done with them is unknown.

S.B

I should and do feel sorry for the camel but laughed out loud when I read this one, thanks for a good laugh. I pretend to no expertise but opine that few camels have swum. Only a few less than have flown but I suppose Steve has a story for us there too.

Hi Steve:

There's no mention in the 'Field Service Pocket Book 1914 (Reprinted With Amendments, 1916)' about transporting camels by submarine. :P However, attached is an excerpt from Chapter V (27. Transport) pages 157-158 on transporting camels by ship.

Also, in the same book (page 134) it states the load limit for camels, as pack animals, is 320 to 400 pounds. In India the load limit 5 maunds (1 maund = 80 pounds approximately).

Garth

post-3-1059686091.jpg