Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William A. Hemming, Northumberland Fusiliers 34958

smiths565

Hello everbody.

Can anybody do me a SDGW lookup - I am interested to see if there is a link to Chesterfield (Staveley) on William A. Hemming.

I'd also like to know what his second name is and can anybody tell me how the medal cards work if there are two entries - in this instance, was he transferred from the West Yorks to The Northumberland Fusiliers.

Description Medal card of Hemming, William A

Corps Regiment No Rank

West Yorkshire Regiment 47853 Private

Northumberland Fusiliers 34958 Private

Thanks in advance

Robert.

Robert

1901 census shows 3 year old William A Hemming to have been born in Staveley. He is living at 33 Popple St (?), Brightside Bierlow with parents Charles (28) and Elizabeth (25) and younger brother Charles (1)

Robert

1901 census shows 3 year old William A Hemming to have been born in Staveley. He is living at 33 Popple St (?), Brightside Bierlow with parents Charles (28) and Elizabeth (25) and younger brother Charles (1)

Thanks for that Stephen - I thought that was my man and this confirms it.

Thanks for the lookup Ian - it also answers my question about medal cards.

As always, the response on this forum is first class.

Thanks

Robert.

Robert,

I really can't add any more to what people have already told you, apart from the fact that he was among a large draft of about 300 former West Yorks Regt soldiers from all battalions who were transferred to the Northumberland Fusiliers. The bulk of the draft was infact split between Tyneside Scottish and Irish Bn's.

Hope it's of some use to you.

Graham.

I really can't add any more to what people have already told you, apart from the fact that he was among a large draft of about 300 former West Yorks Regt soldiers from all battalions who were transferred to the Northumberland Fusiliers. The bulk of the draft was infact split between Tyneside Scottish and Irish Bn's.

Thanks Graham - Thats very interesting. Do you know when this transfer happened?

Cheers

Robert.

Robert,

It would appear from the Battalion War Diaries that large drafts of men were coming to the battalions at the end of January, beginning of February 1917 to help make good the losses of 1st July 1916.

The 23rd Bn War Diary describes three respective drafts. The first of 60 men "had no front line experience", the second of 100 men were "not very enthusiastic", while the third od 130 men were "all trained men, with several of our old men who were wounded on 1st July amongst them".

Graham.

Robert,

It would appear from the Battalion War Diaries that large drafts of men were coming to the battalions at the end of January, beginning of February 1917 to help make good the losses of 1st July 1916.

The 23rd Bn War Diary describes three respective drafts. The first of 60 men "had no front line experience", the second of 100 men were "not very enthusiastic", while the third od 130 men were "all trained men, with several of our old men who were wounded on 1st July amongst them".

Graham.

Thanks Graham - very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Regards

Robert.