Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

200308 Pte Thomas Lang KIA 20-7-16

SOMMESOLDIER

Hi There, :)

Could someone please help me ?

I have tried to find this chap and I can't. These are the details I have.

200308 Pte Thomas Young Lang 5th Battalion Cameronians [ Scottish Rifles ]

KIA 20-7-16.

Son of John and Elizabeth Lang of 128, Bain Street, Glasgow. He also had a brother called George.

On SDGW he is recorded as being born in Glagow and enlisting there also.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Tim.

Tim

For the 1901 Scottish Census, you'll have to register, search and pay at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

To the best of my (limited) knowledge, this is the only way to see the Scottish census at the moment.

Tim,

Although Thomas Lang's number is recorded as 200308 in SDGW and his date of death as 20/7/1916, you also have to remember that this number wasn't actually issued until 1917. Therefore you have to assume that he was infact posted as "missing" on 20/7/1916, and as such would have remained on the Battalion Rolls until it was proved beyond reasonable doubt that he was infact killed. I believe the criteria was about six months and is covered in ACI's.

So once you get to the Cameronians Medal Roll Book's or even the MIC, you may find that he has an additional four figure number, as have others of the Battalion who were KIA/DOW/Died on that day.

Graham.

Hi Graham, :)

Many thanks for the interesting information. I was wondering as to the re-numbering as I do know his four figure number, it was 6756.

It appears it was a very bad day for the Battalion as 116 soldiers come up on SDGW, on that date and 2 Officers. Thomas is recorded on there as KIA.

Cheers

Tim.

Hi Stephen, :)

Thanks for the reply, I totally forgot that the Scottish census was seperate.

I've taken your advice and registered on the website.

Cheers

Tim.