New Map section on the forum

Paul Hederer

Chris,

Thanks for adding this new section.

First to post here.... :)

Paul

number 2

post-831-1126509296.jpg

Map posters: don't forget to add a meaningful description in the title or post - members searching rely on that. So for the record, the map above is a trench map of Longueval.

This new section has all the making of an excellent addition to the forum - thank you Chris.

Could I suggest that pals attempt to accompany maps with the following info:

1. Location.

2. Map number and scale (if known)

3. Date of survey, especially the latest update of the trench positions

Not trying to be picky but trying to ensure that we can put maps into context

Regards

Could I suggest that pals attempt to accompany maps with the following  info:...

...2. Map number and scale (if known)

I don't think the scale is all that relevant to be honest. It all depends on how large the scan is.

See the below two examples. The first is from a 1:10,000 scale and the second is from a 1:20,000 scale from the same area...

post-357-1126521784.jpg

the 1:20,000 scale scanned and posted to the same size as the 1:10,000 map...

(makes the scale irrelevant really?)

Dave.

post-357-1126521838.jpg

Great idea,

Thanks for putting this section up on the forum.

Andy

Good point about the scale - only thought that it would be usefulo to differentiate between two maps showing the same area

• 10 months later...
the 1:20,000 scale scanned and posted to the same size as the 1:10,000 map...

(makes the scale irrelevant really?)

Dave.

I don't think scale is irrelevent. To be sure a scan of any map can be re-sized in software but knowing the scale of the original is useful.

Conveying the scale can be simply achieved by making a clone on a slip of paper of any scale marking on the original and including this slip with the scan.

I don't think scale is irrelevent.

It is on a (British) trenchmap scan. The amount of area covered in each grid square is the same whether you are showing a 1:5000, 1:10,000, 1;20,000 or 1:40,000 map extract. In many cases one is simply a "blow up" of an area of another scale anyway.

It shows the irrelevance by your idea of including the scale markings. Comparative to the size of the scan, all these will be identical no matter what the scale!

All that said, however, you can tell the scale of the map anyway simply by it's description (eg. Sheet 62c has to be 1:40,000, 62cNW is 1:20,000 and 62cNW1 is 1:10,000 for example).

Dave.

I don't think scale is irrelevent.

It is not relevant. Many maps in the 10,000 and 20,000 series were produced photograhically one from the other.

Spot the differences in the maps fragments here. If they were not marked with scale, which is which?

Howard

Please excuse my ignorance here (and shoot me down if you wish) but on most of the maps, the Allies are blue, and the enemy red. Is this the case for the Delville Wood map?

Please excuse my ignorance here (and shoot me down if you wish) but on most of the maps, the Allies are blue, and the enemy red. Is this the case for the Delville Wood map?

It's not always the case. Some of the Somme maps showed all trenches in red, even the British ones. French trenchmaps showed Allied trenches in red and german trenches in blue, as did German maps.Even some British trenchmaps showed red British trenches and Blue german in 1918. It all depends on the map and the edition.

(can't comment on the Delville map as i don't know which edition it is, though there are editions of maps of this area that show only red trenches even though some are British held)

dave

It is on a (British) trenchmap scan. The amount of area covered in each grid square is the same whether you are showing a 1:5000, 1:10,000, 1;20,000 or 1:40,000 map extract. In many cases one is simply a "blow up" of an area of another scale anyway.

It shows the irrelevance by your idea of including the scale markings. Comparative to the size of the scan, all these will be identical no matter what the scale!

All that said, however, you can tell the scale of the map anyway simply by it's description (eg. Sheet 62c has to be 1:40,000, 62cNW is 1:20,000 and 62cNW1 is 1:10,000 for example).

Dave.

Dunno much about trench maps (which I appreciate will form the major part of the new section), which is probably why I'm going to appear naive by saying as a general rule I think it's a good idea to include the scale. Newcomers to trench maps may not appreciate the "coding" of the sheet numbers, as explained in the last paragraph.

I collect maps of the Salisbury Plain area 1897-1920ish, where scale can affect the amount of detail. Most of these are Ordnance Survey, though seconds before reading these posts I'd just won on eBay a 2 mile to the inch Bartholomew's War Office map, said to be of WWI period, for 99p plus £2 Recorded Delivery!

Moonraker

It is on a (British) trenchmap scan.

Dave.

I was not aware that this section was intended to be specific to British trench maps.

Further, members may replicate and include herein sections of maps from all manner of sources, some without gridlines and others from German, French, Turkish etc., sources where grids are drawn to a different measuring system.

er..thanks for the explanation of the colouring system for trench maps Dave. Perhaps posters can provide an explanation for maps where this is not obvious? Thanks for everyone who has shared images so far.