Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

look-ups offered

barkalotloudly

I have just received a copy of "Officers who served overseas with the canadian artillery" if anybody requires brief descriptions of service details please let me know

best regards John

Hi John,

Anything on Major William Alexander Irving, KIA 11 Oct.,1916?

Cheers,

Terry

Terry, re the above, no decorations, served in england with the 1st heavy battery 11th brigade C F A , served in france with the 10th bde CFA. KILLED IN ACTION

presumably with them, hope this helps best regards john

Hello John,

Do you have any information on the following men who served?

Arthur M. Boyd

T.E. Clarkson

I.M. MacDonnell

Fred James Mills

Geoffrey Gordon Mills

Allan Cameron Rough

Frederick G. Scott

Joseph Murray Syer

Thanks in advance,

Geoffrey

hi re you request

ARTHUR MACCALLUM BOYD no decorations england 40th battery CFA C A R depot

france 8th battery, 10th battery CFA

T E CLARKSON nothing listed, officer?

I M MACDONNELL o b e, M in D, LIEUT.england 8th bde CFA, 11th bde CFA,3rd D A C, france, CAN.ART. POOL. sec to 1ST CANADIAN div. Headquarters, several staff appintments

FRED JAMES MILLS M.C. Lieut. england 12th bde C F A, Res bde C F A france, 3rd D A C, 10th bde C F A Wounded

GEOFFREY GORDON MILLS no decorations Capt.england 3rd D A C ,Res bde C F A ,france,3rd D A C 8th bde, 10th bde CFA also served in Canadian Siberian Epeditionary Forces

ALLAN CAMERON ROUGH M C Lieut.england 11th bde/10th bde france 8th bde, 10th bde C F A

FREDERICK GUNDY SCOTT no decorations Lieut. england 8th bde C FA france 8th bde C F A killed in action

JOSEPH MURRAY SYER D S O M in D, Major, 11th bde C F A , france 11th bde, 8th bde, 10th bde C F A.

Couple of Clarkson`s listed but not with those initials

hope this helps best regards john

Terry wrote:

Anything on Major William Alexander Irving, KIA 11 Oct.,1916?

Terry: So you are the one who overbid me for that medal!

The only mentions I have for Major Irving are the following from Battery Action! The Story of the 43rd Battery - C.F.A.:

[p. 24] "Most important of all at Bramshott, the command of the Battery passed into the hands of Capt. W. A. Irving, and Col. McCrae left us, taking with him the respect and esteem of every man, without exception, in the unit."

[p. 24] "At Witley, Capt Irving commenced going after the Battery without gloves. You will remember the long days on Hankley Common, . . . and a soft English voice said, "There are a few points I wish to speak about. The driving in the last movement was very poor. You must get the horses away more quickly. Are there any questions you wish to ask? If so, ask them now."

[p. 33-34] "How hot things were can be judged by the fact that Major W. A. Irving was killed 100 yards in front of the first battery position, after we had been in it three days. Curious as he was in many ways, Major Irving was a true soldier and an expert artilleryman. There was regret and pity in many a heart as they saw the thin, rather worn face on the stretcher.

All but Charlie Flesh were impressed. 'It may happen to any von of us,' said Charlie, as he raised his hand in a final way. 'And dis does not go to Svayne" said he, and he swung a sack with certain valuables of the Major's in it. 'Der is a vatch and oder tings in here. Dis goes to de head officer of the de battery.'"

I have note that there is a photo of him in War Illustrated but I do not have a specific page reference. Regards. Dick Flory

Geoffrey wrote:

Do you have any information on the following men who served?

Arthur M. Boyd

T.E. Clarkson

I.M. MacDonnell

Fred James Mills

Geoffrey Gordon Mills

Allan Cameron Rough

Frederick G. Scott

Joseph Murray Syer 

Geoffrey: Some information on a number of the officers in your list:

Arthur Macallum Boyd:

Educated at Miss Saunders' Private School until 1896 and then at Upper Canada College from Sept 96 to Jun 03.

Then went to the University of Toronto where he received his BA in 1907.

Admitted to the Ontario Bar in 1911 and before the war was a Barrister with Messrs. Henderson & Boyd, 67 Yonge Street, Toronto.

Enlisted in the CFA on 13 Sept 15. and assigned to 40th Battery, CFA as a Lieutenant.

Went overseas on 5 Feb 16 and to France on 12 Jul 16.

Fought in the Ypres-Kemmel sector, Somme, Vimy, Hill 70, Lens, and Passchendaele.

Returned from overseas on 8 Jan 18

In June 18 was Military Services Act Officer and Captain with the 1st Bn, 1st C. O. R.

Discharged on 30 Nov 18.

I have attached his photo, from the first listed source, below.

Sources: The War Book of Upper Canada College, Toronto; University of Toronto Roll of Service 1914-1918.

Allan Cameron Rough

Educated at Upper Canada College.

Enlisted in June 1915 and served as Gnr in 30th Battery, CFA

Promoted to Sergeant and transferred to 41st Bty, 8th Bde, CFA

Commissioned as Lieut in Oct 15

Overseas in Feb 16 and posted to 11th Bde, CFA in May 16

To France in July 16 and posted to 40th Battery, CFA in Apr 17

Military Cross in London Gazette of 12 Feb 1918.

Returned from overseas on 1 Mar 19

Discharged in April 19.

I am attaching his photo on the next page of this topic.

Source: The War Book of Upper Canada College, Toronto

Frederick Gundy Scott

Born on 9 Nov 95 in Toronto, the son of Frederick William Scott

Educated at Grimsby High School; Victoria College, U of Toronto from 1912-1916.

In the Summer of 1915 was posted to 40th Bty, CFA and went overseas in Feb 16

Went to France in July 16

Took part in battle of Vimy Ridge and recommended for a decoration

on 20 Apr 17 he was taking a party of men through Vimy village to a new position when a shell burst among them killing him.

Buried at Villers-au-Bois

Source: ]University of Toronto Roll of Service 1914-1918

post-765-1126464066.jpg

Lt. Rough's MC citation:

London Gazette 2-12-1918 (Publsihed 29-11-1918)

Lt. Allan Cameron Rough, 40th Bty., 10th Bde., Can. Field Artillery.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. This officer was in charge of a forward section in close support of the infantry. He showed great coolness and judgment in the handling -of his section under heavy fire, and was always on hand to engage enemy targets. Throughout the fighting he set a fine example to his men.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Joseph Murray Syer DSO gazetted 1-1-1918 (28-12-1917), no citation (New Year's Honours, so probably no citation available)HERE

Fred James Mills MC gazetted 3-6-1918 (31-5-1918), no citation (Birthday Honours?) HERE

Steve.

This is incredible, and I sincerely thank all who provided me with this information. It is people like you who make this forum a true pleasure to be part of.

Most of the details provided reassured me of the research I am doing.

Moreover, I should have read through my first post as I put in the wrong initials for Clarkson. The man I’m looking for is Maurice Arundel Clarkson. Any chance of your help again.

A big thank you again.

Geoffrey.

Hi Dick,

Yes, I'm the guilty party. A nice pair. Another Pal once owned the plaque and cross, but sadly traded them away quite a few years ago. I would love for them to show up!

This is incredible, and I sincerely thank all who provided me with this information. It is people like you who make this forum a true pleasure to be part of.

Most of the details provided reassured me of the research I am doing.

Moreover, I should have read through my first post as I put in the wrong initials for Clarkson.  The man I’m looking for is Maurice Arundel Clarkson.  Any chance of your help again.

A big thank you again.

Geoffrey.

Geoffry,

MAURICE ARUNEL CLARKSON decorations MID,england 8th bde C F A, france 11th/8th bde CFA died of wounds.

hope this is of interest.

I see you are based in Canada, did you know of OXBOW BOOKS, peter jackson? a very nice guy purchased lots of good ww1 books from him years ago very best regards John

Hello John

Thanks again for the information.

As for Oxbow books & Peter Jackson, I am not familiar with them and perhaps I should be as I work in a library.

Geoffrey

Geoffrey wrote:

The man I’m looking for is Maurice Arundel Clarkson.
[/b]

Maurice Arundel Clarkson

Born on 1 Apr 93 in Toronto; son of Edward R C Clarkson.

Educated at Model Schoo, Toronto; Upper Canada College from 1906-11; and University College, U of Toronto from 1911-15 (BA in Commerce and Finance)(First Rugby Colors, XIII Cllub; Alpha Delta Phi)

Served as Lieut in Mississauga Horse

In summer 1915 appointed to the 75th Battalion and went overseas with it on 26 Mar 16.

Transferred to Artillery and went to France with 41st Battery, 11th Brigade, CFA in July 1916

Battle of Somme and Vimy front.

Transferred to 40th Battery, CFA in March 1917

On 20 Apr 17 while reconnoitring a new battery position, he, with several others, was severely wounded by enemy shelling near Vimy village. He died from his wounds the next day.

Recommended twice for the MC and MID on 9 Apr 17.

Sources: The War Book of Upper Canada College; University of Toronto Roll of Service 1914-1918.

Dick Flory

Photo of Clarkson from the first source:

post-765-1126537665.jpg

A big thank you once again.

Dick, I was wondering if you would be so kind as to check two other names in this fantastic book of yours. Both men served in the 40th Battery and both were University of Toronto graduates.

The first man is Major Gordon Hamilton Southam who was killed at the Somme and the other is Lieutenant Conn Smythe of the Toronto Maple leafs.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey

Hi to all!

I just wanted to let you all know that I sent in all the photographs and bios from the War Book of Upper Canada College to the Canadian Virtual Memorial. Many do not realize this, but if you are looking for someone, you may discover that there is either a photo or biography readily available to view on the Virtual Memorial which is searchable by surname. For example, you can view the record with attached images for Lt. Maurice Arundel Clarkson here.

I am currently working on sending in the photos and bios from Trinity College, Toronto, War Memorial Volume, 1922. I can do a lookup right now as it may be a few months before I finish the scanning. This volume also includes photos of men who served along with the 60 war dead. Most are officers.

A plaque dedicated to Lt. M. A. Clarkson is on display at the Church of the Redeemer in Toronto (scan attached) at Avenue Road on Bloor St. The church is open to the public on Fridays at noon if you wish to view that plaque or any of the other military plaques affixed to the walls of the church. I have photos of the beautiful military stained glass windows in that church - and they have two large plaques with about 60 names of men who died in the war (including Clarkson). If anyone has any interest in those photographs - let me know and I can send you scans. (Go to the above link to view image of the plaque).

Regards, Marika

Geoffrey,

Sorry, I missed your very last post.

I sent in quite a few things on Major Southam - here.

Conn Smythe - the attached article was published in the Toronto Star on October 5th, 1918.

Regards, Marika

post-3697-1126546291.jpg

I’ve come to learn via this forum that no matter how many thousands of hours you put into research, someone here always has something you have overlooked. Whether it is a book, plaque or general information, the people here are the tops.

Please, to all those who have helped me in the past I applaud you and to those who are just reading this posting and have helped others I congratulate you.

Thanks to all

Geoffrey

• 6 years later...

If you are still researching Lt Gordon Mills let me know, I have some info on him that may be of interest.PM me for details.

Cheers.

Tom.