Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Regiment

MelPack

I may be barking up the wrong tree (as usual) but is it possible to identify the Regimental affiliation from the button on this photograph?

Regards

Mel

post-1-1059378154.jpg

Mel,

Would you introduce us to this clean-cut young man?

Kate

It is my grandfather, Fred Pack, born in Kettering, Northants in 1891. Unfortunately, the brylcreem style good looks and clean- cut appearance has not been genetically transmitted!

:D I am still thrashing around trying to follow tenuous leads on this one.

Regards

Mel

You maybe know this already, but he is not listed in the local volume of the National Roll of the Great War.

I'll keep an eye open for him in the Northampton Independent.

I have received an opinion from another source which suggests that the jacket is a pre-1921 17th Lancer because of the two pleats between the collar and shoulder patch which was reduced to one in 1921. It was also suggested that the buttons are the skull and cross bones of the 17th Lancers.

Are there any other venturers for the thin ice?

I wish there was a clickable icon for scratching the head!

:blink:

Regards

Mel

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Mel,

I think you'll find that the jackets worn by all OR soldiers in WW1 had the two pleats between the collar and the shoulder patch.

If someone has said that the buttons are 17th Lancers - they've got bl**dy good eyesight <_<

I think you have missed one important thing - the lanyard. Being white perhaps Frederick Pack was in the RFA or the RHA.

Ian

:)

Ian

Thanks for the posting. I can date this photograph to around 1914/15. I know that there have been a couple of threads on lanyards already and their use by a number of regiments during the war. Would the RHA/RFA/RGA have been the exclusive wearers of the white lanyard in the early part of the war?

Regards

Mel