Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

map of Armentieres 1916

aconnolly

I'd be grateful if anyone with a map (or a link to one) showing the "mushroom salient" in the Front at Armentieres approx June -July 1916 could post details.

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew,

Can you be a little more specific? Any particular trenchlines for a start?

Steve

I'd be grateful if anyone with a map (or a link to one) showing the "mushroom salient" in the Front at Armentieres approx June -July 1916 could post details.

Thanks

Andrew

Due east of la Chapelle d'Armentieres...

Dave.

post-357-1126468861.jpg

...and a later map showing it's location with regards to la Chapelle d'Armentieres...

Dave.

post-357-1126477348.jpg

Forgot to mention. Map reference of the middle of "The Mushroom" is 36NW I 11 2.0 4.5

Dave.

• 13 years later...

Hi Andrew & Dave.   Dave , on trench maps in this location - do you have any of the trench formations around La Basse-ville in July-August 1917, at all please?  Cheers & thanks, Bryan Kyle, Taranaki, NZ

Edited by Bryan Kyle

8 hours ago, Bryan Kyle said:

Hi Andrew & Dave.   Dave , on trench maps in this location - do you have any of the trench formations around La Basse-ville in July-August 1917, at all please?  Cheers & thanks, Bryan Kyle, Taranaki, NZ

Try this one - use the transparency slider to overlay trench map and modern map:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=50.7446&lon=2.9295&layers=101464687&b=1

or this one for more trenches

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=50.7432&lon=2.9283&layers=101464939&b=1

Edited by Don Regiano

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much Don. I really appreciate your help.  I don't suppose you have any idea where 'our' front lines were specifically on 7 August 1917, do you?  My grandad was in 3rd Coy of the NZ Machine Gun Corps, & died there on 7th August. Apparently they set up some gun emplacements in advance of our lines, and took a heavy toll because of it. Cheers & thanks again. Cheers, Bryan Kyle in NZ.

5 hours ago, Bryan Kyle said:

Thanks very much Don. I really appreciate your help.  I don't suppose you have any idea where 'our' front lines were specifically on 7 August 1917, do you?  My grandad was in 3rd Coy of the NZ Machine Gun Corps, & died there on 7th August. Apparently they set up some gun emplacements in advance of our lines, and took a heavy toll because of it. Cheers & thanks again. Cheers, Bryan Kyle in NZ.

Sorry Bryan.  Can't help much with that.  Will see if I can find any pointers.  In the meantime, there is a discussion on NZ war diaries here if this helps:

Reg