Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery Formation

John_Hartley

I've often seen the phrase "artillery formation" in war diaries and other accounts. Clearly it was a way for troops to move whilst minimising the risk of casualties from shelling. However, I can't remember ever seeing a definition of what it actually means. Anyone know if there is one?

John

B)

Not an actual definition but, it might give a better general idea......

"The second wave moved forward in artillery formation, small groups of men spread out, as did the third wave,...."

from "An Unknown Lieutenant" by Capt. Steve Newman.

John,

Artillery Formation can be found in variuos sources such as SS143 "Instructions for the Training of Platoons for Offensive Action" or "The Organization of an Infantry Battalion and The normal Formation for the Attack" (April 1917).

Artillery formation is always used by rear echelons (this could mean second third or fourth waves) in an attack. It is described as (for the platoon) "Sections move forward in fours, file or single file, according to the ground". Usual formation was a diamond 100 yards across, however the actual formation was at the descretion of the Platoon commander.

In photos this formation is easy to spot. It is simply men moving forward in files of sections and not in lines. A section was usualy eight men and this could be seen as either single file or a double file or fours. The other sections of the platoon would be near-by and moving forward as the ground permitted. The company would follow a similar formation only on a larger scale.

Joe Sweeney

John-see Paddy Griffiths 'Battle Tactics of the Western Front' for detailed discussion of all this kind of thing.

Guest stevebec

The Camel Corps diaries talk about going from Line extented into Artillery formation.

I know many soldiers were ex Light Horseman and line extended was a mounted term for forming a line of troops.

These troops were not the rear echelons but the front line of the formation.

S.B

John,

To add some 'confusion' I have also seen accounts of soldiers being deployed in 'artillery formation' when within the range of enemy artillery. In this case the platoons would march together, but leave (50 yard or so) spaces between themselves and the next platoon - to avoid catastrophic casualties in case of enemy fire.

The formal definition is given by Joe Sweeney above, although the informal definition I describe above was also used by many soldiers.

As a rule of thumb I would assume that if infantry were in an attack that they would be deployed as described by Joe Sweeney above. If they were moving behind the front line but within enemy artillery range then it is likely that the less formal definition is being used.

Brendon Moorhouse.

Artillery Formation can be found in variuos sources such as SS143 "Instructions for the Training of Platoons for Offensive Action" or "The Organization of an Infantry Battalion and The normal Formation for the Attack" (April 1917).

John - here is the diagram of AF from SS143. It is not actually defined in the text. However this diagram is referred to on p.7 as follows:

"Appendix II shows a platoon in Artillery Formation of sections. These can move in fours, file or single file, according to the ground and other factors. Platoon HQ should move with that Column best suited for purposes of Command; this will usually be the rear section"

post-3-1059731182.jpg