Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/ Gordon Highlanders War Diaries

Guest Raindancer

Guest Raindancer

Greetings all

I have looked on the National archive web site trying to get a copy of the war diary for 1 Battalion Gordon Highlanders for August 1914. All I seem to get listed is for 2 Battalion and other regiments.

Does anyone have any tips to refine my search criteria that might help?

Thanks and regards

Roger

Hi Roger,

Not sure about the Gordons, but some of the Battalions went by Divisional War Diaries, certainly the 2nd Rifle Brigade did when I was looking for their War Diary. I have not checked but thought this might be of help.

Andy

post-1871-1126355792.jpg

Guest Raindancer

Hi Andy

Thanks for the scan and info. I've just manged to find a copy of Vol IV Life of a Regiment (Cyril Falls Book) and am waiting for it's arrival.

I have a group of medals to one of the soldiers captured on the 26th and would like a copy of the diary if I can get it. I'll see what I can find via divisional diaries.

Thanks and regards

Rog

Hi Roger,

Might be an idea if you cannot find the Battalion in the war diaries. As stated I have found more than 1 battalion in the Divisional Diaries rather than listed individually by Battalion. Best of luck.

Andy

Rog,

The NA reference for 1st Bn. Gordon Highlanders is:

WO 95/1421 - 1st Bn. Gordon Highlanders - Aug 1914 - Oct 1915.

Searched with Gordon under WO 95

Stuart

Guest Raindancer

Thanks Andy.

I definitely need to be able to refine the search phrase. Have just spent several very frustrating minutes trying all sorts of combinations without success.

Ah well, I'll keep on trying.....

Rog

Guest Raindancer

Stuart

Thanks for the info. Found the reference but guess that its not been made available online. Was that what you found?

Sorry for my ignorance!!

Regards

Rog

Thanks for the info.  Found the reference but guess that its not been made available online.  Was that what you found?

Yes, that was the one I found. Sorry, I didn't realise you were searching for online diaries - as you've found out already, the 1st Bn. diary is not yet online.

Stuart

(I deleted my previous post when I realised you had replied again! Didn't think you would have had time to see it - it was only up for about 20 secs! Now your post of 2.57pm is not replying to anything. Sorry again.)

Guest Raindancer

Thanks Jane I did.

Unfortunately, I'm after the diary for August and that month is not listed.

I'm getting a copy from the NA and if anyone is interested, I'll send them a copy.

Regards

Rog