Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers' papers at the MoD

wilkokcl

Hello,

I'm researching an officer in WWI who re-enlisted in 1939. That means his records aren't at the PRO and are still held by the Ministry of Defence.

Does anyone with experience of this know what info about him I need to tell them? I don't know much about his WWII service but have the London Gazette entry when he resigned his commission and that has a number in brackets after his name.

Can they track down his records from that, or have i got to know his exact unit in WWII etc?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hello Mark

It is highly unlikely that the records will be released to you without you being the direct next of kin or having written permission from the direct next of kin.

If you are lucky enough to gain permission be prepared for a long wait, it took 9 months for my Grandfathers WW2 records to be released to me.

Andy

Hint look in the medal indexes dont ask the link Ive had a beer but I will find it for you

Army Lists run from the 1860s telling what Officers were doin thruought their career these run annually up to present day You have to go to Kew for them BUT you can just get them off the shelves zithout q wait; these will tell you everything the army can tell you look on the research hints pages of this zebsite you cant very go wrong hope this helps Seanio

Thanks for the info guys - it's my grandfather so I can get a signed letter from my grandmother to gain access.

I hadn't thought of the Army Lists as a source of info - will go through them when I get the time to visit Kew. Then I'll prepare my self for a long wait.......

Mark.

Hello Mark

Your Grandads records will not be at Kew, they are held at the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow.

Army Personnel Centre

HQ Secretariat

Historical Disclosures

Mail Point 400

Kentigern House

65 Brown Street

Glasgow

G2 8EX

Tel: 0845 600 9663, option 3

Give them a ring and explain your situation. They will send either you or your Grandma a set of forms to fill out and return with your £25.

Best of luck

Andy

Mark: If you give us your grandfather's name maybe one of us can give you some information. Regards. Dick Flory