Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

INFORMATION BOARDS

BIFFO

Hello fellow members,as an ordinary joe who has been to the battlefields a couple of times can I make a small observation?,

why can there not be small information boards with photos of "how it was"

when you visit various places you have no idea.

at tyncote you can see the total waste of human life, by the number of graves but as I stood looking across to ypres all I could see were a few houses some horses and a farmer on his tractor plowing his fields,

rightly all has been returned to farm land ,and rightly time moves on, not much point dwelling on the past who was right who was wrong.it happened and thats the truth, but mr ordinary who hasnt a trench map or a book is left with no idea of the horrors/mud that were there.

I would hate to see the whole place turned into a "tommy theme park"were you could have your photo dressed in uniform, but a few photos wouldnt go a miss or would it

im waiting for the shrapnel to fly in my direction

biffo

Biffo, no flack just some thoughts !

I have stood many times at Tyne Cot looking back towards Ypres and tried to picture the awful scenes that happened there. The truth is its impossible to do so and I dont think a few photographs would make any difference. In any event you can loook at pictures in books and museums.

I prefer to look across at the tranquil scene, with the old belgian going about his/her business and to appreciate that these men suffered and died to help restore the scene we can now see. The poignancy is in our knowledge that through their bravery we can now stand with our backs to their resting place and realise what freedom means!

I suppose what we could have in place is a tablet showing the direction of the attacks but bearing in mind how many battalions were involved, how many attacks took place and the sheer scale of the battle it would take some detail !

Regards

Patrick

Biffo - several of the relatively recent (1997 or so) Australian Memorial Parks do have information boards just as you say, pointing out some of the significant features which can be seen today from the sites. The one at Fromelles has (among others) an aerial picture of the part of the battlefield you are looking at when facing the information board. Beside it is a map of the same area you are looking at. Together they are very informative and do help visualise the landscape as it was. I think more of this kind of thing would be very useful.

Tom

I like the idea of discreet "orientation tables" and plaques pointing out the salient features of the area concerned. They could be more widespread, whilst not giving the "Tommy Themepark" image. Pictures could be include as long as the overall effect is not a sort of pinboard.

hi, the last time I stood at tyncote, a group of pimpley youths sat on the cross and only wanted to text their "pals"and listen to their i pods,I only wanted to give the casual visitor an idea of what it was like,maybe the pimpley youths could then see that the cross they were sitting on was more than a seat,I only used tyncot as an example as it is on every ones list of things to "do"

you could say sim to small information boards at lochnagar also on the list of things to "do"

newfoundland park I thought excellent,my wife and I walked the route and were helped by the guides"not girl" to me on a casual level it made sence of a thing that made no sence

hi, the last time I stood at tyncote, a group of pimpley youths sat on the cross and only wanted to text their "pals"and listen to their i pods,

I suspect said pimply youths, would still rather text their pals and listen to their ipods, but for the rest of the casual visitors and even the more seasoned, your idea isn't a bad one.

No shrapnel from me :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I think that information panels are a great idea. I've noticed that a few have popped up of late - the one at the Red Baron crash site immediately springs to mind. I'm not sure who is responsible for these but I assume it is a local French tourism initiative.

Cheers,

Mat

I support Spike's view;if the info boards are erected they should be discrete (ie no higher than knee level and painted not to disrupt the coutnry)

The "finger posts" showing the walking route around the Redan Ridge - Beaumont Hamel area are a good demonstration of how it should be done; some of the signs for "tourist attractions" in the area are (in my opinion) totally over the top :ph34r:

I totally agree Delta if the right information is presented in the right format in an unassuming manner then it would benefit not only the casual visitor but the seasoned veteran.

Perhaps opening a can of worms here but if pimpley youths wish to text their mates and listen to their ipods they have no business climbing on crosses etc. That said I was visiting the SA Memorial recently and notice a number of the older generation showing a lack of respect for their surrounding (shirts off, loud chatter etc). I'm a big believer in showing dignity and respect in places where it is due and expected and if certain members of the older generation do not show it how can we expect the younger generation to do like wise. we must educate this generation on the sacrifices that were made that gave them the free they enjoy and readily forget. I will jump off my soap box now!!

NeilD

Must admit I'm in agreement with the information/photo panels. Many years ago I remember touring the Gettysburg battlefield in the US. All the key points around the battlefield had similar boards with photos and I must admit it really helped the visitor visualize the scene.

Tim L.

Hi just thought it was only me that couldnt visualise the scene before you,recently we were on holiday near the english/scots border,saw the old "magic battelfield sign"did a detour and ended up at the battle site of flodden field,much to our suprise they had a battle field route which we followed and at relivant points information boards with text and artists impressions made the whole sad scene come to life,thats where the idea of information boards came from.

hope some "action"comes of this,the hardened buff no doubt will poo poo the idea ,

but I for one still think it a good idea

biffo