Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J H Woodman Royal Engineers

Guest Charlton

Hello,

I have a problem with sapper J.H Woodman mentioned in the same incident as Alfred Furlonger posted recently on this site. The information there says that Woodman was killed along with Furlonger, Farren and Johnson. But when I checked the CWGC site there seems to be no mention of Woodman; and when I checked the National Archives MIC the only Woodman there was a sapper William J. Woodman, and again the CWGC site has never heard of him either!! It may be that he survived the explosion after all, but I am confused on this wet and windy Friday!!!

Any help, as ever gratefully received,

Charlton

Charlton

The information on your previous post, about Furlonger and extracted from CWGC, doesn't say that Woodman was killed.

Charlton

I cant get the hang of doing the link properly, but go the following on the main site:

www.1914-1918.net/albert_medal.htm

There are details about the Albert medal in general and some additional information about Woodman, it is specifically stated that he was uninjured.

Regards

Steve

Many thanks for sorting this out for me...I am now much clearer than before about this incident. Interesting that people from three railway companies were working in the same area. I suppose they could share facilities or personnel as and when required. All I have to do now is a) find out where Krombeke is; and B) try to make contact with the families of these brave souls.

Charlton

Many thanks for this info, and it was fascinating to see the area under discussion. In fact, it turns out that I was about 2-3 miles from the area when I visited Wormhout and La Coupole recently...but that, as they say, was a different war!! And thanks to Stephen for the offline message. I think I will give it a go first and then perhaps get back to you to discuss matters if that's ok with you.

Many thanks again,

Charlton