Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brussels

Jock Bruce

I'll be in Brussels weekend after next. Although the time is meant to spent helping my pash with flathunting, I intend doing a runner for a couple of hours - I find there's only so much of that sort of thing you can take before the will to live deserts you.

Anything WW1 related (reached by public transport) in the city itself worth seeing ??

Jock

Jock

You could try the military museum. I liked the aircraft section but the WW1 section was reasonable.

Garth

Hi Jock,

I agree with gem22, The Royal Army Museum is well worth a visit. It is very accessable by taxi or metro. Its located next to the Automoblie museum. Entry to the museum is now free!! They have a great collection of WW1 tanks and artillery pieces. (MkIV, Whippet and Renault). The aircraft hall which is also part of the museum is good. Don't forget to go upstairs as they have a wonderful collection of WW1 aircraft.

Enjoy :D

Iain

Hello,

the Brussels museum of the Belgian army is indeed worth to see. It has some WW I artillery and tanks; further it takes you through two centuries of Belgian army, from napoleonic times till now, it has a large aircraft and tanks section, and a small bookshop. The internet site of the museum you can find at :

http://www.klm-mra.be/engels/index.html

pascal bastiaens

The Belgian Army Museum is ideal for conservatives. Negligible explanation, no touchy-feely, just stacks of exhibits, many are touchable. Just like the old Mons museum, and like the Ypres one was until someone decided it was too ....... well, I really don't know. I expect that has a thread, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Folks,

thank you all - a very enjoyable 3 hours in a museum of the more traditional kind. One of the flats we looked at is less than 5 minutes walk away, looks over the roof of the museum and alongside it is a memorial to Belgian trench mortar crews in WW1 , but I suspect proximity to a good military museum will not be factored into the final decision ... :(

Do any of the Belgian pals (or indeed anybody) know if the military bookshop in Etterbeek (on Rue de L'Escadron, I think) is any good for WW1 books - I saw it but there was no time for me to browse.

Jock

Although I was at uni in Brussels for two years, I never heard anything of this bookshop. Anyway, I have a pall who works in Etterbeek, will ask him to have a look.

Best,

Bert.

Jock

I was unaware of the Belgian Mortar crew memorial by the museum which I have

visited twice in the last three years. What form does the memorial take and

where abouts is in relation to the museum

Geoff

Geoff,

if you head up the south side of Terverunlan towards Montgomery Circle, past the Merode Metro, this memorial is set back from the street by a structure I think might be a disused entrance to something underground- it certainly has escalators going down. It is actually by Exit 7 from the Merode Metro.

Memorial consists of a statue (sorrowing gowned female) standing in front of a semi-circlular wall formed by two panels with relief scenes of trench mortar life and a central panel with a bilingual (of course) inscription. It is surrounded by hedges and might be easy to miss coming from le parc du Cinquantenaire.

Don't have a decent map to hand so I can't tell you the side road that runs into Terverunlaan at this point, but if you get as far as Rue des Aduatiques/Aduatiekerstraat you've gone too far.

Hope that helps - bet one of the Belgian Pals can give chapter and verse.

Jock