Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where did Von Richthofen crash?

whkay

All I can gather is that its somewhere on the Corbie to Bray road?

Can somebody please confirm exactly where the field is and where is Bertangles in relation to the crash site? I'm going at month end but I'd like to know where having never drove in France before!! :huh:

Many thanks

Mark

Mark,

A great source is The Red Baron by Peter Kilduff in the Cassell Military Paperback collection.

On page 204 it describes his plane in a field of Mangel alongside the road from Corbie to Bray his body was then taken 15kms to Poulainville aerodrome home of 3 Squadron Australian Flying Corps. The Baron was then taken to Bertangles for burial.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rob

Mark, if you drive along the road from Corbie to Bray, you'll pass a small group of industrial buildings with a tall factory chimney. This is on the left of the road as you travel and is very difficult to miss as there aren't many buildings. The crash-site was in the field opposite (on your right) and there's an explanatory information-board at the edge of the field, near the road.

The crash-site and board are a few hundred metres before you get to the factory, so if you draw level with the factory you have just passed the site.

Tom

Mark

Another source of information about the crash site is the book by Norman Franks and Alan Bennett called The Red Baron's Last Flight: A Mystery Investigated. It has numerous aerial photos and maps showing the route of Richthofen's flight.

Chris

Mark,

this map is taken from Vol. V of the Australian Official History. It is now available on line via the AWM website, and has some interesting information on this subject.

Chris Henschke

post-671-1126263254.jpg