Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Collis - Any Manchester Experts?

PBI Friday

Hello Pals,

I am trying to find about a Corporal C Collis 41652 of the Manchester Regiment. I have typed in his details on the PRO site, and tried every variation of spelling of his name (Collins, Colliss, Collinge....etc), as well as looking through the names of soldiers produced by a number search only..... but have so far drawn a blank!

While doing basic research on soldiers for friends and family in the past, the PRO has always come-up trumps.... but I just cannot find anyhing on this man!!

Is there any reason why he shouldn't be on the PRO? Could any Manchester experts take a guess on which regiment he might have been on based on his number? Has anyone ever come across his name on rolls or in other documentation?

I would take a guess at 17th service battalion if that helps.....but that 's ONLY a guess.

I would appreciate any help on this one.

Puzzled Dave. :unsure:

Dave

I wouldnt call myself an expert, but I have a particular interest in 17/Manc. And, I'm afraid, there's no way of linking a particular service number to a battalion of the Regiment.

The number is around those who would have joined the service battalions as replacement drafts after 1/7/16.

There's a number of possibilities why you can't find a Medal Index card (I've looked a well). Firstly, you have the wrong service number or name. There's no Collis with that number and there's only Collis' with the Mancs. The next possibility is that there's been an error at the National Archives and it hasnt been digitised. The third, and by far the most likely, is that he didnt see overseas service with that number, or with the Mancs. Unless you know different.........

John

Hello

Might be worth checking the fiche itself at the NA - the document scanned in are not perfect!

Ian

Pals,

Thanks for your replies on this one.

John, the details for Collis were taken from the rim of a Victory Medal (standard stamping almost certainly not faked or renamed), so I believe this suggests that he would have seen overseas service.

Ian, if I get to the National Archives one day I'll have a look through the fiches..... Most names and numbers that have been mistranscribed can usually be found if you look hard enough using the available search criteria on the PRO site, but this one does have me stumped.

Back to the old drawingboard then!!!

Thanks,

Dave