Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mametz Wood

DaveBrigg

We're hoping to take a school trip to the Somme in March next year. Some of the sixth form students have been already, and seen Sheffield Park, Thiepval, Devonshire Trench etc. I'd like to spend a few hours tracing the places mentioned by Sassoon and Graves (they are all Literature students - the 'A' Level Literature syllabus includes a study of war literature)

Several years ago I walked from Delville Wood, past the Dragon memorial to Montauban and eventually the Somme canal, but cannot remember if this was strictly legal. Is there public access to Happy Valley, and the site of the German Quadrilateral? I wouldn't want to upset any local landowners (or risk the wrath of parents!)

I have also heard that it is possible to enter Mametz Wood (Graves 'Dead Boche'!) but wouldn't want to try this unless it was safe. We will be travelling with a tour company, but I don't think their guide will have this level of knowledge. Any suggestions gratefully received.

A nice idea to follow in the footsteps of these two men. Bois Français near Fricourt is a must, just before the crossroads is a sigh marked "ball trap" not a rural french vasectomy clinic but clay pigeon shooting. Go up the track, if with a bus this is not practicle. You could access this area by parking the bus at the Devonshire Cemetery and walking along along the track on the top of the ridge. You will see traces of trenches and mine craters at Bois Français, go down to point 110 cemetery the furthest of the two has the graves of David Thomas and two other officers killed before the july offensive. The battlefield burial is so graphically described by Sassoon. Nearby you can also see where Sasson describes seeing the 1st july attacks. Mametz is out of bounds as faar as I know, walking along Death valley you'll see the hammerhead where Sasson decided to take a German trench alone. Further along you'll come to Crucifix corner where I think Graves saw his dead boche on a track leading up to High Wood. If you need any help email me.

Thanks for that - sounds like an excellent plan. I've got a decent map of the area so I'll try to plot your route, although I don't think it shows rights of way as clearly as the dear old Ordnance Survey. If we've got time it would be nice to finish at the quarry and cemetery at Bazentin where Graves was injured. If you don't mind, I'll be back in touch nearer the date after I've had a chat to our guide. I'm sure I read somewhere about a visit to the wood, with a local guide, but maybe a look in from the edge will suffice. I've just finished reading Wynn Griffiths' excellent 'Up To Mametz' which also has a detailed description of the area.

Again, Thanks!