Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ieper over Armistice Day

ChrisC

It might seem like early days but who would fancy a beer in the Posterij - or some other watering hole on 10th / 11th November? Maybe a meet up and a visit to one of the sights in the Salient?

I'll be staying at the Rum Jar.

Chris C

Elverdinge straat opposite the nick and the CWGC

Chris C

Chris,

I will be there, meeting in the Sword for pre menin Gate drinks any time after 6pm.

After the service on the 11th i'll be in the church hall with friends and the lads and lasses from SHAPE, a good laugh and lots of beer, sometimes we have been known to sing!

Mandy

CHRIS,

In the main square, look towrds the menin gate and on the left is the car park, the Sword is in bottom left hand corner, just after the bus stops (unless they have changed the square agin since last year!)

I will be lovely to see any Pals or Palettes there,

I have just been able to confirm that we will be in Ypres from 9th to 13th

Mandy

I'll see you all there then. I'll be the one wearing the red carnation and carrying the Vicker's MG......or not as the case may be :wacko:

Chris,

You might want to bring with you

1 Tin hat - to be worn, these are not usually necessary but just in case Seb is eating his spag bol and our American friend is causing Seb to laugh then it may be,

2. also your waterproof coat may be needed!!!!!!

3. A good northern dictionary, although i can translate for you if you don't have one!

See you there, Photo's may be taken so be warned!!!!!!!!! But don't let that put you off, the kids don't like their photo's taken so i have to get shifty while taking them!

Mandy

Chris,

where is the Rum Jar, I have never heard of it ?

Patrick

THE RUM JAR BED AND BREAKFAST: Bed and Breakfast run by ex-pat Peter Morris. The Rum Jar is located about 350 meters from the town square and is directly opposite the Common Wealth War Graves Commission Ypres Office.

Thoroughly nice chap is Pete and his details can be found on Paul Reed's website under 'where to stay.'

Regards,

Donna :)

Donna,

will see you there,

Erwin,

we may well just turn up you never know, it will be something different for the kids to talk about when they get back.

right now in just 4 lessons Rebekah's teacher has got to december 1914 with only a passing sentance to Mons and 1st Ypres, but as Rebekah has promised to be good in class she won't question the teacher! but i will as soon i get to see her!!!!!

Mother on the warpath be afraid, be very afraid!

Mandy

Maybe we can wellcome you on our new Passchendaele Ceremony on the 10th (06.00 PM at Crest Farm)?

Not arriving in Ieper until late afternoon on the 10th unfortunately, pity :( But there will be next year.

Regards,

Donna.

Erwin

Could you post some more detail regarding the new Passchendaele Ceremony on the 10th.

Kind regards

John

Ceremony starts at at 18.00 hour at Crest Farm Canadian monument in Passchendaele and will finish at about 19.15 on the market place of the village (only a few hunderd meters away), this to give people the opportunity to go to the Last Post ceremony in Ypres afterwards.

It is organised for the first time by the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917, but with the intention to make it an annual ceremony.

Erwin