Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Does the MIR show full service?

DaveBrigg

Frederick John Huskinson was a teacher in 1913, so I assume he was an early volunteer. His CWGC record states:

HUSKINSON, FREDERICK JOHN

Initials: F J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Additional information: Son of Charles and Georgina Huskinson, of 2, Ormiston Rd., Westcombe Park, London; husband of May Huskinson, of The Lincolns, Loughton, Essex.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 4 D and 5 B.

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

On the record there are two parts I cannot understand.

1. His first rank is listed as Lieutenant. Surely he had to start as a Second Lieutenant?

2. He is shown as being entitled to the 1915 Star, but didn't arrive in France until January 1916.

Could there have been an earlier period of service, recorded on another card, which was later replaced? Any ideas gratefully received.

Dave

post-7552-1126132886.jpg

Dave

I can't answer #2 but the ranks indicated on the cards are those held whilst he was in a theatre of war. In other words he would have been promoted Lieutenant before he left England.

Andy

Hello

have you checked the NA for his papers ? Might explain why

Ian

The best thing would be to obtain the 1914~15 Star roll page the reference alludes to that will probably give you an answer,he may have seved O/S with another unit as a Ranker,prior to his Commission,or visited the front as an Aide etc;

Thanks for all your suggestions. Can I obtain copies of the 1914-15 Star roll page and his papers without a trip to London?