Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mentioned in Despatches

Cockayne

My great Uncle's service records stated he was mentioned in "Field Marshall Haig’s despatches of the 7/11/1917". Can anyone tell me what this means and would there be a citation with such an award ?

Thanks

Paul

Paul

This was the formal method for bringing to the attention of the authorities, some meritorius action or piece of work. There was no public citation, such as that for a gallantry medal for instance, although recipients of mid's often received a certificate of some sort from divisional commanders.

To indicate that a man had been mentioned in despatches he received a bronze oak leaf that was worn on the ribbon of the Victory medal.

Terry Reeves

Paul

As my namesake says there was very rarely any citation to go with the MiD but you will find the awards listed in London Gazette. The award was accompanied by a certificate - a friend of mine has a copy of one awarded to his father in 1919 for services in Palestine that is signed by Winston Churchill!).

Nor was there any right to any post-nominal letters as many people think (ie a recipient did not put 'MiD' after their name).