Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Gazette Online

Ciaran Byrne

Can anyone tell me why I cannot find entries for DCM and MC recipients in the London Gazette? I have tried putting in full name, rank and number but it either brings up a blank, or some other totally irellavent entries. Has anyone else found this when searching ?

Ciaran,

have tried just using the name like this 'John Smith'?

it sometimes works for me or just use the surname and go under all medals,

hope this helps,

sometimes you just have to keep trying, i had difficulty last month but got there in the end.

Mandy

The London Gazette website is notorious for it's impenetrability - some days you can serach and everything turns up, the next day the same search will give you NOTHING!

I'm afraid that patience and inventive search ideas are all I can suggest.

Sorry!

Adrian

Ciaran

Try entering it as J. Smith. That's J, period, Smith. The period is important.

Can be a little more awkward if your man is, say, "J. P. Smith". It may or may not have the P.

John

If your Man has an unusual Surname; just enter that ,with NO initials or Forenames{Sometimes the Forename is printed AFTER the Surname,with a comma; as in Smith,John,so Surname alone is sometimes easier,also if you have the Index Card details with a Date & page number enter just that ,the Page number as a name & restrict the Date by selecting that option allowing about a week either side of your published Date,often it works,when a Surname cannot be found,{i did this last week looking for some one whose name didnt appear when searched for by Surname,but luckily as I had the page number & date I managed to find him in 1 Hit!;so it does work.

Ciaran, this site, link, gives excellent tips on using the London Gazette.

As said above, it's a bit of a sod to master.

However, I have invested in a REALLY big stick to hit it with and I can usually find most of the blighters after a while. If you want to post a name or two, I'll find them and then post details of how I did it. (If I can find them, of course...)

Steve.

I've just realised what Ciaran means - database errors galore.

The London Gazette is broke at the moment!

Steve.

Thanks for the replies!

Steve, I was getting lots of database errors to begin with but thought it may because I was trying too many searches at once. I decided to leave it for a while and it works ok now. I also found that the site is not very freindly to Mozilla Firefox browsers so I switched to IE 6.

I have tried some of the tips you all have suggested, using the initial and surname and I have to admit that it was slightly better and did bring up a few DCM and MC entries. However the majority of the names I put in do not work and don't bring up any entries.

Someone suggested to me the place in Colindale, London that holds copies of newspapers and was wondering if anyone else had tried this as a means of finding information? As a bonus it was suggested that a citation or description of the action the medal was won. Only problem is finding out individual's areas of residence.

The vast majority of DCMs and MCs have a citation in the Gazette somewhere.

MMs are best from War Diaries or newspapers. Colindale is an option certainly, but you need some idea of where and when. A plan is a must for a visit! Waiting time is one hour per order, though you can order several at once.

The British Library Newspapers website has an online index of papers, though the Pals here are as good a lot of people to ask which of their local papers is best.

MCs and DCMs generally have full names including middle names. Look up the MIC first for the officers, which generally provide a full name.

Do you want to let me have ago at some of the DCMs and MCs?

Steve.

Thanks for the offer Steve, thats most kind. Here are a few names

DCM

L/12644 Squadron Sergeant-Major John Henry Miskimmin

L/2071 Sergeant M Mayson

Military Cross

Capt. J.A. Batten Pooll MC

Capt. Thomas Leetham Wall

All these men belonged to 5th Royal Irish Lancers

Darn Gazette website crashed and burned at the moment!

Sort those later if I can.

Looked at your website, too. Very nice.

Steve.

Ciaran,

me too have looked quickly at you site and have added to it to the ever growing list.

Mandy

Ciaran, was Captain J. A. Batten Pooll related to Captain Arthur Hugh Batten Pooll, VC, MC with the Royal Munster Fusiliers?

1st one up...

Not sure if you are after DSO or MC as you have put his name with the MC already on the list.

Thought I would post it as it's not yet on your website.

Awarded DSO

London Gazette 26-7-1918 (Published 23-7-1918)

Capt. John Alexander Batten-Pooll, M.C.,Lrs.

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in reconnoitring under heavy fire and personally driving the enemy back with bombs over a canal. Later, when the enemy had entered the trenches on his flank, he

organised a counter-attack and restored the situation. Though wounded, he continued to direct his squadron, until he was wounded a second time."

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

(No help from MIC for forenames, therefore search criteria = "Batten-Pooll", 29 hits, and look at 1918 & 1919 hits (1918 action per your website))

Looks like March - April 1918 action, Spring Offensive to me. All the citations on the same page speak of heavy enemy attacks...

DSO delays generally about 2 months at that time, though probably a bit longer with citation attached.

Sorry if you've already got this one,

Steve.

Thomas Leetham Wall.

Announcement - No Citation yet.

London Gazette 3-6-1918 (31-5-1918)

Awarded the MC.

Capt. Thomas Leetham Wall, Lancers.

Cannot find Citation yet.

Steve.

LG 16-2-1916

ATTACHED TO HEADQUARTER UNITS.

Dated 3rd January, 1916.

Staff Captains—

Lieutenant John A. Batten Pooll, 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers, and to be seconded. Dated 13th January, 1916.

----

LG 15-5-1916 (12-5-1916)

MEMORANDA.

The undermentioned to be temp. Capts. : —

15th Apr. 1916.

Whilst empld. as Staff Capts. : —

Lt. J. A. Batten Pooll, 5th Lrs.

----

LG 1-2-1917 (30-1-1917)

26th Dec. 1916.

ATTACHED TO HD-QR. UNITS.

Staff Capts. —

Lt. B. H. Williams, Res. of Officers from Adjt., Leic. Yeo., T.F., and to be temp.Capt. whilst so empld., vice Lt. (temp. Capt.) J. A. Batten Pooll, M.C., 5th Lrs.

----

LG 27-3-1917 (27-3-1917)

CAVALRY.

Lrs.—Lt. J. A. Batten Pooll, M.C., to be acting Capt. 20th Feb. 1917.

----

LG 10-5-1917 (8-5-1917)

CAVALRY.

Lrs.—The undermentioned Lts. to be Capts.. 7th Mar. 1917:—

(Acting Capt.) J. A. Batten-Pooll, M.C., and to remain seed.

----

LG 21-11-1919

5th Lrs.—Capt. J. A. Batten-Pooll, D.S.O., M.C., to be Adjt., vice Lt. C. L. Nicholls. 4th Nov. 1919.

All that narrows down his MC to some time in 1916, I think. But no MC Citation yet. <_<

Steve.

Steve, thanks very much for taking the time to look up the above for me. You must have a special knack or years of experience as they drew a blank for me. The citation is indeed for The Spring Offensive as the regiment was heavily involed in the defence on the Crozat Canal. I did not have this one, in fact I do not have any citations apart from George Clare's VC citation. Any others are most welcome.

Ciaran, was Captain J. A. Batten Pooll related to Captain Arthur Hugh Batten Pooll, VC, MC with the Royal Munster Fusiliers?

Thats a really good question as I have often wondered are the two related. It would appear that both belonging to Irish regiments and having the same name is more than a coincedence but I have yet to confirm this. I may be able to check his records at the National Archives in Kew to see if there is any clue there but I am not sure if they will have them or not.

Mark Mayson - DCM

Announced London Gazette 3-6-1918 (31-5-1918)

2071 Sjt. M. Mayson, Lrs. (Barrow).

Citation 21-10-1918 (18-10-1918)

2071 Sjt. M. Mayson, Lrs. (Barrow).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. This non-commissioned officer has set a fine example throughout the campaign. His cheerfulness and courage, many times under most trying circumstances, have proved invaluable.

MM

Announced 27-5-1918 (25-5-1918)

L/2071 Sjt. M. Mayson, Lrs. (Barrow).

Steve.

From the list on your website, cus I'm stuck on the others!

London Gazette 25-8-1917 (24-8-1917)

2nd Lt. Kenneth James Catto, Lrs.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. After the enemy had captured the post which his squadron was holding he succeeded

by means of a very gallant personal reconnaissance in gaining information which facilitated our counter-attack, thereby enabling the post to be regained.

Same gazette:

Capt. John Arthur Talbot Rice, Lrs.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when holding a post with his squadron. Although wounded and heavily attacked irom three sides, he held on to the rear of his position, organised a counter-attack, and

with the aid of reinforcements regained the whole of his post and consolidated it. When reinforcements arrived he only had twenty three officers and men left out of his original squadron.

R A Heath.

LG 2-4-1919 (1-4-1919)

Capt. Robert Arthur Heath, Leic. Yeo., attd. 5th Lrs.

No Citation.

DCM

LG 4-9-1919 (2-9-1919)

L./8739 Sqdn./S./M. F. Hollington, 5th L/rs. (Godmanchester).

His services in the battle between 8th and 21st August have been most valuable. Determined, a fine disciplinarian, and with great drive, he has set a splendid example when under fire, especially in the operations east of Amiens in August, 1918. He is always to be relied upon to meet and overcome difficulties, and sees that those under him do likewise. He does not spare himself in his work, which is given gladly.

Steve.

Steve,

Well done on the other citations. I thought it would be a bit of a liberty if I asked you to find the others but what you have posted up is great. Thanks a lot!

By the way I have sent you an email.

Just edited my last post to add SSM Hollington, ibn case you missed him...

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

My ancestor Eugene Baines's MIC reads that he joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers as a Private (army no: 23255).

It then states that he went to the M.G.C. (Machine Gun Corps) but he now is a 2nd Lieutenant.

Is this the example of a battlefield commission and would this be announced in the Gazette?

I have tried looking for entries of this but have so far only found a Sergeant Baines... :( and not Lt Baines.

Any help very welcome!

Tim

Tim,

Have you tried using different spellings. Sometimes it helps to do that or look under the Regiment but unfortunately with that it might mean trawling through hundreds of hits.

Mandy

Apologies for returning to the original thread but I was researching my sister-in-laws relative who was awarded the DCM. He has a fairly unusual name which I entered in the London Gazette database but came up with another relative (who was also awarded the DCM). Not wanting to cast doubt on the award (there is supporting documents regarding the award) why wasn't his award mentioned in the London Gazette? Is this a common things. Can anyone help?

NeilD