Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Info on 2nd Army movements.

As a bit of a newcomer to this - help please!

My Grandfather served in 90 MT Company which later became 1st Auxilliary Omnibus Park. However, according to the info I have found out so far, 90 MT company "were Formed October 1914. 1st Omnibus Company. Initially in Second Army area, later GHQ Troops". As there is no service file (Burnt!) I am having to make assumptions based on the little fact I find. SO - my question is how or where would I find out information on the 2nd army area so I can try to work out where he may have been prior to becoming 1st Aux Omnibus who have war diaries?

If anyone has got any information regarding the bus crews who joined up when the garages were commendeered I would be grateful for any you would pass on.

Mir-cat

• 1 month later...

If you want info on War Diaries then the PRO/National Archives at Kew would be the best bet.

Was this unit a army service corps, is there not a war dairy for this unit?

As I say the Pro/ NA would be my starting point

regards

Arm

• 4 weeks later...

Family legend had it that my Grandfather (driver of a London General Omnibus) joined up and took his bus with him to war. Only 2 pieces of paper regarding this one of which was the De-mob document. That told me he joined up 14th October 1914 - this tied in with an article from RASC 1902 - 1918 which stated that the bus garages were commendeered and at that time the drivers and conductors joined up and became 90, 91 & 92 ASC MT Companies 93 company being driven by Marines. The 1914 star medal roll where I found his name proves he was in 90 M.T. Company. However, back to the De-mob cert which stated he was in 20 GHQ Res MT coy.

My initial information regarding the 2nd army came from the article but I am such a newbie that I don't understand companies, divisions, battalions etc so I have no idea where the "2nd Army" went to get an idea of my Grandfathers movements. As previously stated his army record was one of the 'burnt' documents so no luck on tracing his movements there. I am desperate for help to unravel his war but it seems this is an area where no research has been done before.

Is there anyone out there who can help me ?