Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Leicesters POW

KIRKY

Hi

friend mailed me for help on following :William or Willie Smith of Denholme, he was a Private in the 1st Leicestershire regiment, taken prisoner on 22nd March 1918.

I know this info because I have a matchbox cover I presume he made with the date engraved on, it also says “Aeroplane C.13118” ?. I also have what I think is a cap badge with Leicestershire on it and a Tiger, well looks like a Tiger, and what looks like a lead cuff link with his initials on it WS, I was told once that all WW1 Pow’s got one. It would be great to know more about him, never met him, where he may have fought e.t.c.

Can anyone throw any light on this. I know nothing about POW and interested in the Aeroplane reference?

Tony

Tony,

The matchbox cover does not appear to have anything to do with being a PoW, probably being an example of trench art and made from an aircraft wreck. On the 22nd March 1918 four German aircraft were brought down. Three were Albatros Scouts and one unidentified. The scouts would have serial numbers starting with D so the unidentified aircraft was probably c/n C.13188. (registered as G152 by the British military who gave all captured machines numbers even burnt out wrecks!) The machine was probably a Hannover as others in the c/n range were such as C.13199, 13135, 13103 all of which were "captured".

The information comes from "British Military Aircraft Serials" by Bruce Robertson of which my latest copy is ancient (1979). There may be an updated edition with this hole plugged but if not then the information is of some interest to all the aviation pals. I would suggest that this topic is moved to the War in the Air forum which may get you more information.

As to the cufflink, probably also trench art. I have not heard of anyone else getting them.

Is there anything else which makes you think he was a PoW?

Doug

Thanks for help so far!

I will ask why he thinks he was a POW.

Tony