Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Veterans

stevew

Does anyone know how many French and German veterans there are still survivng. As we in Britain are 'officially' down to the last 33 veterans, I was wondering if it was similar number of verterans for the French and Germans, and Belgium come to that................

Guest Simon Bull

I have often wondered about this point. Also how many Russians survive? I assume that the Russian and German armies were probably significantly larger than our own. It strikes me that the last survivor of the Great War may well eventually be an unknown peasant somewhere out on the Russian steppes!

Simon Bull

Hello,

last year there was an article in a Belgian newspaper, that the last Belgian veteran died; but some days later there was a new article, that there was one survivor discovered; so the last I heard was 1 living veteran in Belgium.

pascal bastiaens

Regarding the Russians serving in the Great War.Combatants just disappeared.I do not think there was an organisation responsible for notifing the NOK that a combatant had died either in battle or from other causes.He just did not arrive home after hostilities ceased and after a time it was assumed he was dead.

In the Great War, Russia apart from the collapse of the Tsarist Army,Russia also had to contend with the October 1917 revolution and the complete failure of the civil administration.

Russian Great War veterans might still exist but they will be drinking their vodka unacclaimed.On the other hand veterans of the Great Patriotic War are seen as the real heroes while the Tsarist veterans would be remembered as being on a losing side.It remains to be seen if the Putkin regime acknowledges any surviving Great War veteran.The country seems to have too many more important priorities at the present time.

Regards

Frank East

Guest CASSQUINN

As someone who has long held a deep interest in WW1,

[enjoyment seems so totally an inappropriate phrase],it

is surely the constant passing of veterans that is the most

depressing part of our studies.