Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Badge

SPotter

Pals,

I have transcribed the War Badge Roll for the Dorsetshire Regt. Another post in this section got me interested in reviewing the reasons why some of the men were discharged. One particular individual interests me. He was:

12553 Pte Francis Henry CLARKE, who enlisted on 25.11.194 and was discharged on 03.02.1915.

He was discharged under KR 392 (IX), which the LLT gives as "Unfitted for the duties of the corps". The cause column has "W.O. Letter" entered into it. Does anyone have any ideas as to what exactly would make a man unfit for the duties of the infantry and what is the relevance of the War Office letter?

Regards

Steve

In the case of KR Para. 392 (IX), it is likely that your man was a "re-enlisted pensioner" who was found "unlikely to become efficient within three months of enlistment". The remainder of KR Para. 392 (IX) applies only to RFC, RE, ASC, RAMC, AVC etc.

Do you know anything further about this man which would confirm this hypothesis?

Ed

In the case of KR Para. 392 (IX), it is likely that your man was a "re-enlisted pensioner" who was found "unlikely to become efficient within three months of enlistment".  The remainder of KR Para. 392 (IX) applies only to RFC, RE, ASC, RAMC, AVC etc.

Do you know anything further about this man which would confirm this hypothesis?

Ed

Ed,

Unfortunately not. He was just unusual compared to the rest of the entries in the roll. There is no age given which would have confirmed the possibility of his being a re-enlisted pensioner, though this does seem likely - perhaps the WO letter referred to his service documents if retained for pension purposes.

Thanks

Steve