Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt. A.H. Furlonger, Royal Engineers

Guest Charlton

Hello,

Does anyone have any information on CSM A.H. Furlonger? The only things I know at the moment are that he served in the Royal Engineers, and that he was awarded the DCM to add to his Albert Medal in 1918. Unfortunately I do not know the circumstances of either of these gallantry awards, or what happened to him.

any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Charlton

Charlton,

This is his Medal Index Card. You can download it for £3.50 and that will give you a little bit of info to start with.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

He was killed in action on the 30th April 1918.

From the CWGC

Name: FURLONGER

Initials: A H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: 29th Light Railway Operating Coy.

Date of Death: 30/04/1918

Service No: 109599

Awards: AM, DCM

Additional information: Son of Mr. A. H. and Mrs. M. J. Furlonger, of 24, Palmerston Rd., Wimbledon, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. D. 31.

Cemetery: HARINGHE (BANDAGHEM) MILITARY CEMETERY

The SDGW register records him as having enlisted at Whitehall in Middlesex and having resided at Wimbledon in Surrey.

This also from the CWGC.

The following particulars are given in "The London Gazette", No. 30,876, dated Friday, 30th Aug., 1918, of the acts for which the Albert Medal was awarded to C.S.M. A. H. Furlonger, D.C.M., Spr. J. C. Farren and Spr. G. E. Johnson, who are buried in this Cemetery, as well as to Lce. Cpl. J. E. Bigland and Spr. J. H. Woodman, all of the Royal Engineers :- "In Flanders, on the 30th April, 1918, a train of ammunition had been placed at an ammunition refilling point, and after the engine had been detached, and was being run off the train, the second truck suddenly burst into flames. Furlonger immediately ordered Bigland, the driver, to move the engine back on to the train for the purpose of pulling away the two trucks nearest the engine. Bigland did so without hesitation, and the engine was coupled up by Furlonger, assisted by Farren, while the burning truck was uncoupled from the remainder of the train by Woodman. The two trucks were then drawn away clear of the ammunition dump, it being the intention to uncouple the burning wagon from the engine and the first wagon and so isolate it, with the object of localising the fire as far as possible. The uncoupling was about to be done when the ammunition exploded, completely wrecking the engine and both trucks, killing Furlonger, Farren and Johnson (a member of the train crew), and seriously wounding Bigland. Had it not been for the prompt and courageous action of these men, whereby three of them lost their lives and one was seriously injured, there is not the slightest doubt that the whole dump would have been destroyed and many lives lost".

Steve

Link to the Albert Medal announcment in the Gazette mentioned above:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Forenames were Alfred Henry.

His DCM was in the London Gazette of 19-11-1917 (Published 16-11-1917)

109599 Cpl. (A./.Sjt.) A. H. Furlonger, R.E. (Wimbledon, London, S.W.).

The Citation appeared a little later on 6-2-1918 (5-2-1918)

109599 Cpl. (A./Sjt.) A. H. Furlonger, R.E. (Wimbledon, London, S.W.).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He was in charge of trains evacuating the wounded from an aid post. The enemy shelled the line and cut it in seven places, preventing a train from reaching the aid post. He at once organised a party, and had the line repaired under heavy fire. When one of the trucks was hit by a shell he transferred the wounded on it to another truck, and got the train away to safety. He showed great courage and ability throughout the day.

Based on the date of the announcement and the longer delay on the announcement of DCMs during 1917, I would estimate the time when it was won as sometime around August 1917.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

What stars! Many thanks for the fascinating info...there is hardly anything on the unit, so this is excellent. Now two experiences are unearthed. And what an extraordinary man Furlonger seems to have been. I think I might try to find out more about these people in other places on the internet, but will let you know how I get on. One mystery so far is that my brief research on the Albert Medal seems to indicate that it was a civilian award perhaps associated with fire situations...yet obviously here awarded by the military...Hmmm.

Charlton

Hello,

Pic grave of CSM Alfred Henry FURLONGER

at Bandaghem Cem, Haringe.

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1126007459.jpg

• 1 year later...
Hello,

Does anyone have any information on CSM A.H. Furlonger? The only things I know at the moment are that he served in the Royal Engineers, and that he was awarded the DCM to add to his Albert Medal in 1918. Unfortunately I do not know the circumstances of either of these gallantry awards, or what happened to him.

any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Charlton

Hi Charlton

I'm still learning the communication part, but hopefully the following may be of some use with regard to Alfred Henry Furlonger, not so much from a military point of view, but more to do with his social life, and perhaps the way he conducted his life !

Alfred was a Freemason, who was Initiated into the Home County Lodge, No. 3451, Surbiton, Surrey, on 16th September 1914. Details of him are somewhat scarce, but he was said to have resided at Wimbledon, his occupation was given as a Clerk and his age, 28. Also recorded is that he died, April 1918.

Not much I'm afraid, but I hope it helps with your research in some way

Cuthbertp

• 7 years later...
Guest BOSSYLADY1

Hi everybody

I'm a new member and found these soldiers name from a message 2005.

This is wonderful news.

Spr Alfred Henry Furlonger DCM - died

Spr Joseph Collington Farren - died

Spr Thomas Henry Woodman - died

L Cpl John Edward Bigland - injured

My maternal Grandfather, Stanley Corsellis Randall, was awarded the Military Medal for the same incident in Flanders 30 April 1918, that above soldiers lost their lives and one soldier badly injured. The incident was reported in the London Gazette and I found the cutting, which I still have, in my Grandfather's papers. I also have his MM and the citation and paperwork, connected to the medal. He had marked in a blue pen the incident on the cutting but strangely his name is not actually mentioned. This I find a mystery. But anyway, I am so thrilled I have found the previous message on your site. If the person who left it or anyone connected to the above soldiers would like to get in touch, I would delighted.

If anybody is interested, I have put my Grandfather on the new Imperial War Museum Lives Of World War One. I think you put in Stanley Corsellis Randall and it should take you straight to his page. Have put lots of pictures on the site.

Regards

Christine Barbour-Moore