Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Mason, RNAS aircrew

Matthew B.

Folks,

I have been talking to a collegue of mine and he is the grandson of one John Mason who served with the RNAS and was decorated for gallantry. Not clear but may have started as an OR, later comissioned and definatly aircrew.

Can anyone help untangle the family legend? I would have thought confirming any medal would be a good start. He is not the same man as John Melbourne Mason of 'Naval 5', though thought to have served in the same squadron.

Cheers

Matthew.

The medal rolls for RNAS ‘ORs’ and with the other naval ratings and John Mason would be listed at the national archives in ADM 171/109. If he received a gallantry medal or became an officer, both of those should be noted on the roll. The officers medal roll is in ADM 171/90.

Basic details registers of service, for ratings, are also at the NA in ADM 188; officers in ADM 273. There are more detailed records at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

The medal rolls for RNAS ‘ORs’ and with the other naval ratings and John Mason would be listed at the national archives in ADM 171/109. If he received a gallantry medal or became an officer, both of those should be noted on the roll. The officers medal roll is in ADM 171/90.

Basic details registers of service, for ratings, are also at the NA in ADM 188; officers in ADM 273. There are more detailed records at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Hi Matthew

Here's a few snippets I have on John Melbourne Mason;

I have no trace of him in the RNAS as a rating, although he could of course have served in the RN or indeed the Army.

He was appointed as a Prob Flight Officer on 17th Dec 1916

Promoted Flt Sub Lt 20th Jun1917

He was awarde Royal Aero Club Licence No 4688 on 23rd May1917

He served with No 4 Squadron from 21st Jul 1917 until ?

He served with No 5 Squadron from 4th Nov 1917 until 31st Mar 1918 and with No 205 Squadron RAF thereafter. He appears to have continued in service in the RAF post war with the last mention of which I am aware as a Wing Commander from 1st Jan1937. He was awarded the DSC and DFC. The former being gazetted on 17th April 1918. I havn't a date for the DFC.

He was mentioned frequently in "Bomber Pilot" by C.P.O.Bartlett, which has been republished as "In the Teeth of the Wind" or something similar. He also has a mention in "The Piloteer" of June 1918 (The Cranwell Station Magazine)

I hope this helps.

Regards Duncan

Gareth & duncan,

Thank you very much for your efforts but a slipped in editing my mail. I have had it confirmed that he is not John Melbourne Mason. This family memeer is apparently the Leading Mechamic Mason mentioned in Barletts book.

Regards,

Matthew